Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Flintstones - help!    

Flintstones - help!

mari_18cf
Brazil

Flintstones - help!

Hey guys, I was watching the flintstones, and Barney was building an engine to fly.. and he said:

on account of the stickle bolts connected to the toggle switch, the toggle switch

connected to the ratchet.. the ratchet rod connected to the tension trod...

What is the meaning of stickle and tension trod in this sentence. (this word is what came in the subtitles, is it correct?)

What about the meaning of these highlighted words?

From now on,

the new president �s gonna be me. Yours truly, "Buzz" Barney.

Miss the opera on account of...my little dizzy spell? No, you three run along. I �ll be fine.

And say we don �t trust them around the corner?

Thanks in advance

17 Jul 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It would help if you provided the link to the episode or at least mentioned the season and the name of the episode or if it �s a full movie then tell us the time e.i. how far in the movies this dialogue happens.
Sophia

17 Jul 2012     

mari_18cf
Brazil

http://dubbed-scene.com/index.php?q=node/7832

17 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

what time is that dialogue?

17 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The only thing that would make sense would be spindle bolts but that seems not what he is saying.Confused You have to take into account though that The Flintstones  is full of humour so nothing is to be taken seriously.
Let �s wait for the native speakers to help figure it out. BTW the scene starts on 4:58
Sophia 

17 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

It sounded like "stiggle bolts" to me, but I agree with "tension trod". I don �t think they are real things, so don �t worry about it.

"Buzz" is a nickname, like Buzz Lightyear. Sometimes it is used for a pilot.

"Dizzy" means light-headed. A "spell" is a short period of time. A "dizzy spell" is feeling light-headed for a short time.

I don �t understand the third sentence. There needs to be more context to get a reason for saying "around the corner" here.

Bruce

17 Jul 2012     

mari_18cf
Brazil

What happened is that Fred was pretending to be sick not to go to the opera and instead go bowling with Barney.

But the wives were wary about the situation and decided to go back home.

Part of the script

What will we say

when they ask why we �re home so early?

00:22:16,333 --> 00:22:19,643

- Just say we missed them.

- Why not tell them the truth?

00:22:19,733 --> 00:22:22,884

And say we don �t trust them

around the corner?

18 Jul 2012