Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hi please I need help with grammar and vocabulary    

Hi please I need help with grammar and vocabulary

solange73
Aruba

Hi please I need help with grammar and vocabulary

Hello evrybody:
Would you mind answering these questions please?

I have been trying to figure out the meaning of this sentence especially the use of would in this past tense context:

" First in Italy a tried a dish that I would come to love.

Is that kind of an expression... when do we use it?

My other question is regarding to vocabulary:

How do you say when you are eating the same dish almost everyday and you are tired of it.

Thanks a lot for your kindness and time.

17 Jul 2012      

Apodo
Australia

What do you say when you are eating the same dish almost everyday and you are tired of it?
I �m sick of eating the same old thing every day. Let �s have something different.

First in Italy a tried a dish that I would come to love
There �s something wrong with this sentence. Should it be? :

It was in Italy that I first tried a dish that I would come to love.

Image the dish �risotto �. I love risotto now. Before I went to Italy I hadn �t tried it.
I tried the dish and came to love it (after I �d eaten it lots of times). 

It �s the sort of sentence a �food and travel � writer might use in an article. They could talk about Italy, then use it as an introduction to cooking risotto.
�It was in Italy that I first tried a dish that I would come to love, and that dish is risotto. My favourite recipe is one I got from Mario, in the little village of .....

18 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

Apodo, you corrected "how" but you didn �t correct "everyday". That should be the adverb "every day", not the adjective "everyday", which means "ordinary, not special". Wear a good dress shirt, not your everyday clothes.

Solange73 was specifically asking about the use of "would" here. The thing to remember is that "would" is the conditional or simple past (in this case) of "will". Since the sentence is in the past, and talking about the future in this clause, we need the simple past of "will".

I will come to love this food.
It was then that I knew that I would come to love this food.

I hope this helps.

Bruce

18 Jul 2012     

Apodo
Australia

@Bruce,
I saw everyday, but I see it every day, it �s become so everyday. I thought maybe I was getting a bit picky, so I let it go. I �m glad you pointed it out. And for expanding my answer and explaining will/ would. ;-)

18 Jul 2012     

solange73
Aruba

Thanks a lot I feel  that I need to learn so many things..... Unhappy .
Well again thanks a lot ESL printables � friends. 

18 Jul 2012