Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "First for schools" for my son    

"First for schools" for my son

mariajosefuster
Spain

"First for schools" for my son

Now, you can get the "first certificate" if you are from 12 to 17, taking the exam of "first for schools". The difference is not the English level, but the kind of reading, writing... suited for this age. You cannot get the "advanced" or the "proficiency" at this age.

I am thinking of my child here. He is nearly 12, so he can take this exam in December, but I don �t know if it would be better for him to wait some more years and  try the proficiency or the advanced, or if it can be of any use for him to get the "first for schools" now, maybe to show that his English level was a good one even when he was a child.

My son is  practically bilingual, so I don �t think he will have any problem in passing this exam. The problem is the nearly 200 euros that it costs and that you have to study it because you need to know certain things such as how to write a formal or informal letter, expressions and certain structures for the writing, you have to be used to the kind of questions of the exam... .

Could you please give me some advice? Do you think there is any use in taking this exam at twelve or that it would be better to wait until he is older and he can pass higher level exam?

Thank you for the advice, as I really don �t know what to do.

Maria jos�

18 Jul 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

My son is also 12 and I would wait;)
The reason for that is that we have an international exam which is approved by our Ministry of education and if a student passes it, it gives him/her the right not to take the school state exam. He would still have to take the independent tests in English if he chooses a University department which demands it. 
So my advice find out about this, maybe there is an international English exam which is officially recognized in your country as well.
The exam I am talking about is PET General (B1, B2, i. e. level 2 and 3 - intermediate and upper intermediate).
Here�s the list of countries and institutions by which this test is recognized:
but unfortunately Spain is not on the list, this however doesn�t mean that there is no other exam which IS recognized by your country.
Sophia

18 Jul 2012     

alexcure
Poland

Dear Maria,

I also think it �s more reasonable to wait. The reason for taking the exam should be its usefulness, if you find it really useful for him at the age of 12, as Sophia suggests, I can �t see any cons.

The process of the preparation for the exam might be boring or tiring for your son to the extend that he might become tired of it with the negative effect for the future. It�s sometimes better to wait until the child grows up enough as often young adults are already tired of the exams they have taken before while they should be fresh/enthusiastic about them as the exams are quite numerous later on.

You know your son better, however. There are children for whom it is better to start taking exams earlier, though. I used to have a particular student aged 13 who was particularly stimulated by taking English exams as her level of intelligence was very high and for her taking exams was like solving crossword puzzles and her parents, following my advice, decided to pay for her exams in order to give her some fun (as she wasn �t stressed at all). In this way she became a real master in the field of taking language exams at the university level, she could take any language exam for sheer pleasure. Now she is a happy graduate and speaks 5 languages...

I can expect it �s not an easy decision for you but I am sure you will choose the right thing for your son. 

Alex

18 Jul 2012     

mariajosefuster
Spain

Yes, the case of my child is like the one you (Alex) describe. His intelligence is much higher than the average and he likes English a lot. He loves taking exams (in any subject), because with no effort he usually gets very good marks.

Maybe I could start preparing him if he feels like and if I see that it makes him be stressed or if he doesn �t see it in a positive way, I just don �t register him for the exam.

It is probably useless for his future, but may be something which may make him love English even more, or just start getting bored about it.

Thank you very much for the answers. I see things a bit clearer now. Sometimes seeing different points of view helps a lot.

Maria jos�

18 Jul 2012     

alexcure
Poland

Yes, you have arrived at a very good idea, you will see how much he likes the preparations, if he does, you can try. You both will see how it works and if he enjoys it or not. The FC examination committee are almost always very nice people who create a pleasant atmosphere (especially for children) so it can be an interesting adventure for your son... he can start to collect some exam money from aunts etc as the 200 euro is quite a sum. 

Glad I could help and congratulations for being such a good mum-teacher!

Alex 

18 Jul 2012