Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can you answer this question?    

Can you answer this question?

solange73
Aruba

Can you answer this question?

Hi again I have a little question:

Can we say that an article (piece of writing) is breathtaking? Is the adjective correct?

Thanks a  bunch.

18 Jul 2012      

carinita
Argentina

It sounds correct to me

18 Jul 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

Yes, it is fine if the piece of writing was so well done that you were pleasantly shocked or moved to tears.

18 Jul 2012     

libertybelle
United States

I often associate the word breathtaking with something visual - like beautiful flowers or someone who performs something that is amazing - but not the written word.

When asked about J.K Rowling �s style of writing, I say it �s magical. (because it is)

A style of writing can be elegant, flowing, beautiful - but not often breathtaking.

18 Jul 2012     

solange73
Aruba

So  Confused? I have always seen it when refering to scenery. That �s why my question.

18 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

Adjectives are very much a matter of opinion, hence the differing opinions you are receiving. We can definitely say that it �s not common, but I wouldn �t say that it �s wrong.

Bruce

18 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I �m not a native speaker of course, but analyzing the examples here http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/breathtaking I assume you can describe abstract/nonvisual things with this adjective but in a slightly different way than you, Sol, suggested.
Something like:
His article was full of breathtaking descriptions and similes.
or
The author �s attention to detail is simply breathtaking.
or something like that...

What do you think, Bruce, Liberty and Moody?

Sophia

18 Jul 2012     

tanitaa
Ecuador

It sounds correct

18 Jul 2012     

solange73
Aruba

I �m not a native speaker of course, but analyzing the examples here http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/breathtaking I assume you can describe abstract/nonvisual things with this adjective but in a slightly different way than you suggested.
Something like:
His article was full of breathtaking descriptions and similes.
or
The author �s attention to detail is simply breathtaking.
or something like that...

What do you think, Bruce, Liberty and Moody?

This was written by Sophia  (ueslteacher)

18 Jul 2012     

manonski (f)
Canada

@Solange, why did you copy the same post by another member in the same thread?

18 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Manon: I guess he/she wanted an answer and thought people won �t know if the message has been pushed up. Just a guessConfused

Sophia

18 Jul 2012     

1    2    Next >