Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Past progressive    

Past progressive

Tali G
Israel

Past progressive

Hello all! Can anybody help me with a grammar question? 

"After carefully listening to both sides of the story, he came to a decision." 

Would the word "listening" here be past progressive or is past progressive limited to the "to be" verb aka "was listening"? If it isn �t past progressive- what is it?

19 Jul 2012      

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

I beleive that when you have a preposition - after - the verb should come with ing.
It �s not the past progressive... it �s an infinitive

19 Jul 2012     

dalia morsy
Egypt

it isn �t progressive or infinitive. It is gerund i.e inf.+ing.Gerund is used as nouns after prepositions, after another verb  and at beginning of sentences eg: I �m fed up with watching T.V. / I hate travelling./ swimming is my favourite hobby.

19 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

dalia has a good explanation.

Bruce

19 Jul 2012     

chalii
Pakistan

in my opinion the sentence will be like
 after careful listening" instead of after carefully "

19 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

chalii,
Both versions are correct, with a very slight difference in feeling. In the original, "carefully listening" emphasizes the process, very much like the progressive/continuous tenses. In your version, "careful listening" functions very solidly as a noun, emphasizing the result, rather than the process.

Bruce

19 Jul 2012     

sadeel
Palestine

it �s gerund, i think Dalia is right.

19 Jul 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Tali G,

I agree with Bruce

It is the �ing� form, which can be used as a Progressive verb, (He is listening to the radio); an adjective, (The teacher set a listening exercise); an adverb, (He walked around listening): or a noun, (Listening to loud noises damages the ear-drums).

In some circumstances grammarians dislike using the terms Present Participle and Gerund, because they can mislead the student, so they use The �ing� Form.

Dalia Morsy has given a good explanation.

In this instance, the �ing form is used as a noun.

"After carefully listening to both sides of the story, he came to a decision".

This sentence is equivalent to:

�After a careful listening to both sides of the story, he came to a decision�.

�After his careful listening to both sides of the story, he came to a decision�.

�After the action of carefully listening to both sides of the story, he came to a decision�.

The following is not good English, but it illustrates the �noun� aspect of the clause.

�After an attentive �listen� to both sides of the story, he came to a decision�.

I hope that this helps.

Les

19 Jul 2012     

Tali G
Israel

Thanks for the help everyone! I �m having a bit of trouble with the practical application of all the rules (I �m a native speaker, I couldn �t have told you the names of most of the tenses with a gun to my head until I started studying EFL). 
Does anyone have a website which they might be able to recommend as a good go-to for these kinds of questions?
Again, thanks for taking the time to help!
Tali

19 Jul 2012