Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > What is your typical class routine?    

What is your typical class routine?

brookee
United States

What is your typical class routine?

Good day teachers,

I�m interested in learning about some of your class routines.  How do you structure your classes every day?  Do you use warmers?  What kinds and how?  What does a typical class of yours look like?

I ask because my students are coming back tomorrow after almost 4 weeks off, and I�m looking for a way to "freshen up" how we do things.

I�m looking for ideas that get students "warmed-up" and ready to learn.  I want to be able to capture students� interest and involve them from the start.  I teach adults and I want to assist them in putting aside their daily distractions and focus on English, especially considering most haven�t used English all day.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Brooke

11 Jan 2009      

HARIM
Morocco

Hi Brookee,

In your place,I would ask my students to speak about their holidays.It all depend on the size of the class.In small classes,they may do it in turns.In big classes,it�s better to ask students to do it in pairs or in small groups.By the end some students are asked to report.

You may also ask them about the best,the worst,the strangest..........things that happened to them during those four weeks.what they could have done.What they would do if they had one more week off.So prepare questions according to their level.This can be used as a recycling task.

Joyful return

Good Luck

11 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

Hi Brookee,

I teach adults (18-60?).  I am luck enough to have small groups, my largest group is 10 persons.  Classes are 75 minutes once a week.  I usually start by going around the room and asking students to talk about their week/weekend.

I have a VERY flexible teaching plan/style that allows me to change the focus of the lesson mid-course if I see the need.  This allows me to spend time on grammar/vocabulary/customs when they come up and the question is sitting in the student�s head.  However, it also means I have to be ready for almost anything--which gets easier with time/experience. 

My general routine is "How was your week?", review homework and reteach any noted weak areas, introduce new material, close and answer questions, and  handout homework if necessary.  I try to keep my teaching routine so that students do as much talking as possible while in class (75 minutes a week isn�t much) and try to always remember that worksheets and reviewing homework are also a major part of the learning/teaching process.

With my advanced groups I love doing comprehension exercises where I give them and interesting article and we discuss it in class.  I also tend to challenge them wih difficult homework that they haven�t had in class--my thoughts are it teaches them to work through language problems on their own.  They have been surprisingly good  and it has always sparked a lot of conversaaion in class about the difficulties and how they resolved them.

My less experienced groups tend to like visual aides (ie. flash cards, pictures, etc) and anectdotes told in both languages.

Hope it gives you some perspective,
Douglas  

12 Jan 2009