Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > He never could hope with us to drag him down. Help    

He never could hope with us to drag him down. Help

mari_18cf
Brazil

He never could hope with us to drag him down. Help

I knew my husband was leaving the day he left, but there were no goodbye between us. I hope he has been able to climb out of this mess somewhere. He never could hope with us to drag him down.

Can you help me with the meaning of the part in bold.

This is a cut from this text: https://www.msu.edu/~jdowell/135/JGParker.html

24 Jul 2012      

yanogator
United States

To drag a person down is to hinder the person �s progress, even making the person lose progress that has already been made.

Those friends of his are dragging him down, so his grades have been horrible lately.

Without my wife, who was always dragging me down, I can succeed in my career now.

So, in your example, he was not able to have/feel hope with us preventing that from happening.

Bruce

24 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

There was no hope for the husband to get out of poverty having a wife and children to provide for. 

My guess you were puzzled by the use of the infinitive here with us to drag him down (which btw could be substituted by a present participle - with us dragging him down, or else while we were dragging him down), so maybe Bruce could explain that in terms of grammar...

Sophia

24 Jul 2012     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Perfect

26 Jul 2012