Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > future or present continous    

future or present continous

marwashehab
Egypt

future or present continous

I �m flying to London next week.

Please advise the tense of this sentence and why it is not written as I am going to fly to London next week.

Thanks

29 Jul 2012      

anitarobi
Croatia

When you have already made detailed plans and preparations for sth in the near future, you can normally use the Present Continuous for that future action. If you used GOing-to-Future, it would mean you have decided to do it and plan to do it, but using the Present COnt. makes it more definite and pre-arranged.

29 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You use Present Continuous for fixed arrangements for the future, and you use going to for intentions.
Sophia

29 Jul 2012     

marwashehab
Egypt

Thanks a lot for your answers

29 Jul 2012     

essam35
Egypt

using present con gives the indication that the speaker consider the action so close and that he for example  is running out of time. while going to gives the indication that the action is just arranged.

29 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I beg to differ, going to has nothing to do with arrangements but with intentions. And as to closeness, you can say "I�m flying to Japan in December" if you booked a ticket even though December is several months ahead.

Sophia

30 Jul 2012     

Nasia
Greece

One more thing I �d like to add is that the Pres. Cont. is also used to express near future (which can be a year ahead) as well as informal/personal future plans.
 Nasia

30 Jul 2012