Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The very young learners!!!    

The very young learners!!!

izulia
China

The very young learners!!!

Hi,
I was asked to teach Nursery class next school year (2,5-4 year olds). They will be with me full time from 9 am till 3:30 pm. except for Sports and Swimming lessons .

That is almost 18 one hour lessons out of 20 per week, 72 hours per month.
I have about 3 weeks to prepare and I desperately need some good examples of meaningful activities and samples of nursery class routines.

I understand that at this age students learn through play, games, songs, movement, listening to stories, their attention span is short, etc.

However I need to learn how to establish ROUTINES that provide a creative and safe environment with some basic rules to prevent chaos from the beginning of the year. Nursery class can be fun or a complete nightmare, as far as I understand, so I would like to learn how to make it manageable.

I tried to search the internet to answer my questions but only found some bits and pieces, not enough to build a full picture, please help!

30 Jul 2012      

goospanish
Mexico

I used to teach that grade level.   Having a nap time was part of my routines as was snacks
I had more like  10 minute  lessons.    We had to give them showers  too.   20 5 year old boys
in a shower.  I think you got basic ideas.   Just keep things flowing.   My Mom taught the same grade and she used the opening cords of  Beethovens  fifth as pay attention signal.
We had a play period and then outside activities. 

So think more in  10 to 15  chunks...  I didn �t speak their language so maybe that was why so short.   I �m native English speaker and they spoke Sioux.  good luck

30 Jul 2012     

dennismychina
China

Hi, have you thought of searching for; class routines for pre kindergarten. Or, class schedules for pre kindergarten. Here�s one from the former. http://www.ehow.com/how_7643156_establish-structure-routine-classroom.html And one from the latter. http://www.phoenixschools.com/programs/pre-kindergarten/daily-schedule/ Music is marvellous for letting the little ones know when to do what. I�m not responsible for class routine, I only teach English. However I�ve been with the same class for almost three years (they are now 5) and to see these little mights respond the teacher playing the piano still amazes me. Bite size chunks is the way to go. But even at 2 and 3 years old 20 to 25 minutes is not to long for a lesson. One must remember of cause in lesson plan preparation, that their attention span is very short. So lots of variety in lesson content, style and presentation is important. Enjoy. Have the ride of your life. PS. Would you understand if i said, "Vrystaat"?

30 Jul 2012     

Kita19
Portugal

Hi there!

Good luck!

Hugs,
Patricia

30 Jul 2012