Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Grammar Rules Vs Input?    

Grammar Rules Vs Input?

Redbull
Thailand

I didn �t really want this to turn into a debate.....but using Papadeli idea is very good.

more visuals like this is what I think I �m looking for? with the speaking.

30 Jul 2012     

abdel
Morocco

hi everone,
The adjective order is "a grammar rule" in English as in many other languages. To sometimes facilitate the learning of matter like these to young learners, we just try to find "trick" - as somebody said- to help. In this context , i have always said to my kids: learn by heart the OSASCOMP trick. O= origin; S= size; A = age; S = shape; C = colour; M= material; P= purpose. Hence , a sentence like " big red car " follows the pattern ( Size Colour + noun).Apart from this , there is no answer to the question " why" , for language is arbitrary unless it is onomatopoeiac! Or else, why do we call the object with four legs on which we eat A TABLE. It could  have been A PAN , A BOTTLE or any other word had people agreed to call it so long long time ago ( I DO NOT KNOW WHEN EXACTELY).
With all this in mind, I never find it harmful when a student says : red big table ! The same meaning is expressed and understood even by native speakers. These things are by themselves corrected in the long run. We never go on using OUR BABY  WORDS when metathesis and other things are involved. Life experience makes us correct things !
Hugs from here.
PS: Redbull does not always give wings. It depends where it was fabricated.

30 Jul 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You might like Foose1 �s (John �s) ppts  http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/author.asp?user=849145#thetop
Also check Sophia�s website  http://papadeligames.wordpress.com/english/ 
Maybe you�ll like the talking grammar heads  http://www.azargrammar.com/grammarSpeaks/fegi/fegi_00_000.html  click the arrow in the bottom for the next head
Sophia

31 Jul 2012     

Redbull
Thailand

Hey Sophia this is what I �m talking about people like you that help other people need to be recognised and when you do they should say a bloody good thank youWink
I have checked over some of these sites and I got to say they are great and the website of Sophia �s is smashing too.

THANKS FOR THE LINKS AND HELP SOPHIAThumbs Up.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

31 Jul 2012     

yanogator
United States

This wasn �t a debate, redbull, just an informative discussion.

Bruce

31 Jul 2012     

abdel
Morocco

hi yanogator,
i agree with you. it has been a fruitful discussion so far. Unless the one who badly needs an answer accepts controversy , we will go nowhere!
Or else some people opt for ready made answers and websites and object to discussing!
keep discussing friend!

31 Jul 2012     

< Previous   1    2