Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Nursery kids - nap time?    

Nursery kids - nap time?

izulia
China

Nursery kids - nap time?

Hello,

What do you think about this?

In our school the children arrive at 9 am and leave at 3:30 pm. I think it�s quite a long day for the Nursery children (3-4 year olds) and they should have at least a half an hour nap during the day. However in the past a few parents complained that they paid a lot of money for their kids to learn something during the school hours, but not sleep.

I am going to teach this age next year first time and I wonder if I am too old fashioned to think that a half an hour rest is a good idea for a 3 year old during a school day? I mean they don�t have to sleep but to lie down in the quiet?

I am a mother of two grown up children and I remember how cranky my children were at this age when they didn�t have a chance to have a rest (as in lying down) during the day.

If you teach this age or have some children/grandchildren attending nurseries/pre-k full time, could you share how it works in your countries?

I would be very interested in your opinion!!!

3 Aug 2012      

Apodo
Australia

I have found that not all children need a daytime nap, but some most certainly do.
You could have �Storytime� each day, perhaps after lunch, that�s usually the sleepiest time of the day.
You read the children a story and the children can listen or have a nap if they need one.
They could be on a rug with cushions. If some kids fall asleep, it just proves they needed that nap.

3 Aug 2012     

Zsuzsapszi
Hungary

Hi izula,

My son is 3,5 years old. He starts nursery school this September. He always have a nap. He ususally sleeps at least 2 hours after lunch. In the nursery school there is also nap time (after lunch till 3 pm.). And I �m satisfied with this system, because I know, my son needs this nap. But I agree Marion, because there are children, who don �t need this (we could argue why). So that �s why here in Hungary there are nursery schools where these kids don �t have to sleep, but they have to rest a little during this time.
So that �s why Marion �s idea sounds great.
On the other hand, as a psychologist I think every child needs a nap. During this time they can not just have a rest but also their body needs this to grow and thei brain to elaborate all those things he/she learnt that day.

Hope I could help you.
Have a great summer.

Hugs,
Zsuzsapszi

4 Aug 2012     

David Lisgo
Japan

My son stopped nursery school because all the children except him took a nap in the afternoon. Now that he is older, he has no problem sleeping all day and staying awake all night.

4 Aug 2012     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Hi.
In my country it is normal that children in nursery take a nap after lunch. However, my daughter stopped sleeping during the day at the age of 2, so we made an arrangement with the principal and while the other children were sleeping, the teachers were taking Emily to their room and she was playing there. But I guess I was lucky there is a great nursery in my town because not many teachers would be happy to look after a child in their free time:o)))

4 Aug 2012     

izulia
China

Thank you guys, for taking time to answer my question :)

5 Aug 2012