Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need help! ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS!     

I need help! ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS!

petili
Bulgaria

I need help! ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS!

The problem is I �m going to teach English to two children - foreigners. They don �t know any English and they don �t know any Bulgarian. ( I �m Bulgarian and I use Bulgarian as a subsidiary language to help my students understand some words or phrases better). But now I can use no second language to help me. I don �t know a word from theirs, too. As I was told they are from an Arabian country but I �m not sure which one. I �m at a loss! Could someone help me with a tip or some advice, or a site where I can read something about this way of teaching foreign language. Has somone of you had  experience in teaching English to foreigners without a language that both sides umderstand. And furthermore they are 12 and 14, I was told. Could someone share some experience with me? How can I introduce grammar  topics. I know I can use lots of pictures and realia but GRAMMAR?
I �ll be so grateful!
Thanks in advance
Petya

8 Aug 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Use the communicative approach. Threre �s lots of reading on this in the net, see here.
In a nutshell - use lots of visuals, speaking models, repetition, games. Start with the alphabet, phonics and basic vocabulay related to everyday life.
Sophia

8 Aug 2012     

petili
Bulgaria

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Petya

8 Aug 2012     

sadeel
Palestine

hi peti, don �t worry, since they are bigeners u don �t have to deal with complex grammer, just the basics. the simple and continuous sentence should be easy for them. but in Arabic we don �t have the "perfect tenses" . u need a lot of flash cards and if u can use computer to show them the meaning of  the words using the " google translater"
Don �t forget that all of us are here for u, and there are a lot of Arabian teachers in this site ready to help u any time. wish u all the best Thumbs Up

8 Aug 2012     

petili
Bulgaria

Thank you, sadeel,
I �m so grateful for your help. You are so helpful here, all of you. Thank you. if I need some specific help I �ll let you know, if it �s ok with you.
Petya

8 Aug 2012     

Isabelucha
Portugal

Hi Petya.
I also taught a girl from Morocco and she didn �t know any Portuguese, any English... nothing. She didn �t even know how to hold a pencil, because she had never been to school... On the 1st day I had to talk to her Dad and asked him to tell me some basic words in her language, such as "yes, no, good, thank you, please, asking the name...". On the 2nd day I also started as Sophia suggested, with basic words, related to everyday life at school - pencil, teacher, student... Every word had a flashcard (or a picture taken from the net).  I had to tell the word and she repeated it. The 2nd day was quite exhausting but on the 3rd day she still remembered some words. The days after I kept teaching her basic words (groups of words - colours, numbers, food, house, animals, family, etc) and then I started with the verbs to be and have got and the words I had taught her.  Very simple sentences. "I am a teacher. / You are a student. / I have got a pen. / The pen is blue." --> She repeated the sentences, everytime.  And so on....... The weeks after I managed to teach her other action verbs. She always wanted more and more!! It was a marvellous experience and I really recognised my work as being fruitful.
Wish you luck!

8 Aug 2012