Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > listening media or technique    

listening media or technique

kamali21
Indonesia

listening media or technique

dear friends..
is there anyone knows what media or technique that suitable for teaching listening on eighth grade?

12 Aug 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

could you clarify what you mean? what media (tv show, news, etc.) would be suitable for their level or age? then, what age and level are they? (bc as you know school systems differ from country to country and the level and age of the eighth-graders may be different) or do you mean what method of teaching you should apply?
Sophia

13 Aug 2012     

kamali21
Indonesia

ya. I mean what method of teaching listening I should apply?the age is 13-15 years old.could you help me? thank you so much.. :)

13 Aug 2012     

sadeel
Palestine

this site has good listening activities
www.listenaminute.com

14 Aug 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Well, the key to success is, IMHO, to have pre-/while/post-listening activities plus motivation - your ss need to know why they are doing this activity. Pre-listening has to prepare your ss for listening/watching (you can use videos to develop listening, BTW they are even better bc of the visual context), i.e. it can be a revision of grammar structures used in the audio/video OR vocabulary revision activity OR introduction of new vocabulary used in the audio/video. You should also explain what the students are going to hear/watch (e.g. now you will hear two friends talking about organizing a party...) and give clear, precise instructions as to the while -listening activity (e.g. questions about specific info on the board). Finally, your post-listening activities could include tasks to check their comprehension or you can get creative and ask them to make a similar dialogue and role-play it, use groupwork or whatever you see fit to help them retain the info/vocab/grammar.
Choose the listening pieces according to your students � level, otherwise their inability to comprehend will discourage them. Also find topics which would interest them, but at the same time fall within the curriculum and help you reach you teaching goals.
It �s also a good idea to pause at the right places when your students are doing the while listening tasks. As they progress you won �t probably need to do that, but while their listening abilities are still limitted, it is key to help them cope pausing the audio/video. You could later on use authentic peices, i.e. not made for learners but taken from authentic recordings - a piece of news, interview, movie, etc. While using authentic materials, don �t forget to tell your students that they won �t understand everything that is being said, but they should focus on the main points which you �ve stressed in the while-listening task.
I hope this will help you implement your listening developing strategies more effectively:)
Sophia

P.S. More tips here:

14 Aug 2012