Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > confused answer    

confused answer

xuanguyen87
Vietnam

confused answer

Hi every body,

First of all, thank you for any your advice.

This is a question about reading. In the passage, it says that " Voyages Jules Verne operate a " hotel ship" along the Douro river in Portugal. The MVLady Ivy May can take 160 guests in double cabins, all of which face outside and have a private shower and WC.
According to the passage: Each cabin on the Lady Ivy May is for two people. Is it Correct or Incorrect?

I choose it �s correct because I think It �s "hotel ship" and double cabins mean there are many cabins, each one is for 2 people. However, answer in the book is incorrect.

I really need your help.

Thanks in advance.

14 Aug 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

What was the question though? Sometimes the task has several statements which are correct according to the passage but you have to choose the best variant which suits the task. So, what �s the task?
We�re lacking context here... what if the ship has more cabins (for three or for one) What if it says that it can take 160 people in double cabins alone (my oservation) and there are more cabins and alltogether the ship can take more people and other cabins have more/less people i.e. not each cabin is for two people? Is that passage all there is in the task?
Sophia

14 Aug 2012     

douglas
United States

Generally speaking, 160 guests in double cabins refers to two people per cabin in 80 cabins.

14 Aug 2012     

Apodo
Australia

A cruise like this?

The answer sounds correct. But was there any more information? Context? Other answer choices?

Eg. For up to two people, could be better than for two people as it would then include those travelling alone and not wishing to share a cabin.

14 Aug 2012     

xuanguyen87
Vietnam

Thanks for your advice.
However, the answer is still not clear. This task from Preliminary English Test 2 requires reading the passage and decides the given statement whether correct or not according to the passage?

"A JOURNEY ALONG THE BEAUTIFUL DOURO RIVER

VOYAGES JULES VERNE operate a "hotel ship" along the Douro river in Portugal. The MV Lady Ivy May can take 160 guests in double cabins, all of which face outside and have a private shower and WC. On board the ship, which has air conditioning, you will find a sun-deck, lounge, bar, dining room, shop and library facilities.

Day 1 Depart in the early evening from London Heathrow to Oporto.

Day 2 After a morning �s sightseeing in Oporto, you will return to the ship and depart for Entre-os-Rios. This part of the journey up the river takes four hours.

Day 3 You will continue travelling up the river. In the early evening, the ship stops at Peso da Regua, where port wine is produced. At dinner you will be able to try the delicious food and drink from this area.

Day 4 After breakfast you will travel south by bus to the ancient town of Lamego and visit the cathedral, several churches and a museum. The museum was formerly a palace and now has an excellent collection of paintings, tapestries and sculptures. You will then return to the ship and sail on to Tua.

Day 5 At this point the Douro becomes very narrow. Depending on the depth of the river at the time, you may be able to continue by a smaller boat to the Spanish frontier at Barca d �Alva. The return journey to Tua is by coach and there is much to see along the way.

Day 6 In the morning you will drive to Sao Joao da Pesqueira for one of the most wonderful views in the whole of the Douro valley. You will return to the ship for lunch and then join the Douro river valley railway for a beautiful ride through the countryside to Regua, where the Lady Ivy May will be waiting for you.

Day 7 There will be a trip to Vila Real before returning to the ship for lunch and then setting off down the river to Oporto. You will sleep on board the Lady Ivy May.

Day 8 You will arrive in Oporto in plenty of time for independent sightseeing and last-minute shopping, before you catch the flight home to London Heathrow."

the statement " each cabin on the Lady Ivy May is for 2 people" correct or incorrect?
the answer in the coursebook is incorrect. I think it �s correct, though.

14 Aug 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It sounds most unfair to pose this question, as, how can you decide on the information given? 
A double cabin is certainly intended for two people and the hard fact is that as a single, you �d have to pay quite a big supplement for a double, so you wouldn �t be likely to do it.

�Each cabin is for two people � is the correct answer, based on what you are told. If the question said   �meant for 2 people � or �can accommodate 2 people �, or something like that, then, of course, that would be clearer.

It seems that what the company want to convey is that they �ve got 80 double cabins - each cabin taking 2 people. The person setting the questions either wants to catch people out (a trick question) or else they have made a mistake. 

14 Aug 2012     

Apodo
Australia

the statement " each cabin on the Lady Ivy May is for 2 people" correct or incorrect?

I agree. From the information given, Correct is the right answer. I think book has the wrong answer, perhaps a result of poor proofreading.

14 Aug 2012     

xuanguyen87
Vietnam

Many thanks all your answer.
I agree with Apodo. It �s a correct answer.

14 Aug 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

But on the otherhand can �t one person stay in a double cabin if they chose to? Smile

15 Aug 2012