Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Evaluating "Guess Who?"    

Evaluating "Guess Who?"

amyi
France

Evaluating "Guess Who?"

Dear colleagues,
I �m preparing a project for 15 year old special needs students (3e Segpa, for my French colleagues).  My final complex task will be to play the game "Guess Who?".  My problem is that I can �t quite put my finger on the best way in which to evaluate this task.  Should I only evaluate whilst they are playing, or should there be a written part too?  I �m expecting a visit from our inspector this year, so I am anxious to do well and I would be very grateful if you could share your ideas with me!
Thanks
Amy

15 Aug 2012      

evinches
France

Hi Amy,

I am tempted to say that it would be useful to do a short written test on this too. The different question forms the pupils will use could be assessed simply by getting your Segpa pupils to match the English questions with the French translation....or maybe a short assessment exercise on the word order would be an interesting way to do it.

In any case good luck. Teaching in Segpa is always a challenge but one that you seem to be up to.

Esther

15 Aug 2012     

ELOJOLIE274
France

be careful, if you decide to evaluate both ways the inspector will ask you if that was really necessary...

what you can do
option 1) intermediate written evaluation before your final task
option 2) create a 2nd final task: tell you pupils they have to write questions (and answers) for a game of jeopardy and will need to do a powerpoint presentation (to make it easier you can prepare sample pages and they will only need to complete the questions and answers) - but it would actually be better if it lead to an oral presentation, the rest of the class having to guess the questions from the answers written on the board...
there is probably more options but so far it �s what I came up with...
contact Montypython she �s great with those kind of things :)

I was inspected 2 years ago so good luck!

take care!

15 Aug 2012     

steelcity
France

I agree with Elojolie274... If you want to play  "guess who" as a final task there �s no need to evaluate their writing...you never write when you play..do you?

But, you can evaluate it before...as an intermediate evaluation...

Good Luck!;-)

15 Aug 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I know nothing about special needs students or evaluating games, nor am I French, but I�d like to share some ideas and maybe you�ll find them useful. How about some kind of a score scale in which the mark depends on the number of points. And then do you need to evaluate each student in each activity? You probably know your ss � strong points, e.i. some students are good at reading, other at writing or asking questions, what if you could evaluate different students in different activities?
There �s also an evaluation poster I �ve used a couple of times and which worked well with my students (not special needs though) I assessed my ss achievements with the help of an achievement chart with the list of my ss � names in big letters. Make the chart big enough and put it on the board for all the ss to see their progress. You could stick strips of double sided sticky tape next to each student �s name and stick cut-out paper tokens when they give answers, speak up and do different kinds of activities. You could use different tokens: smilies, apples-pears-apples with a worm, sun- sun&cloud-cloud, golden star-silver star- no star.E. g. a golden star for a perfect answer, a silver star for an aswer with minor mistakes and no star for a completely wrong answer. At the end of the lesson you count the results and students with golden stars only get an excellent mark, students who have mostly gold stars and just a few silver stars get a good mark, those who have mostly silver stars and only a few gold ones get a satisfactory mark, etc. In this way they will see it �s fair plus they will be motivated and active. But again you know your ss better so choose what �s best in your situation.
Sophia

15 Aug 2012     

amyi
France

Thank-you all so much for your thoughtful and useful answers.  It �s very kind of you to take the time to help me!  You have reassured me that my instincts weren �t too far off and you �ve given me plenty of new ideas to think about!
Amy

16 Aug 2012     

yanogator
United States

I �d like to add one picky point. It should be "Guess who" without the question mark, because it �s an imperative sentence, not interrogative. Even though "who" is generally a question word (causing the confusion), this is not a question. The use of "who" in the sentence does not automatically make it a question, as in "I want to know who did it."

Bruce

16 Aug 2012