Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Order of adjectives    

Order of adjectives

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Order of adjectives

Hi everybody, I have a question as regards the order of adjectives. When two adjectives fall under the same category, which one goes first, the shorter one? Is there a rule?  For example:

* A horrible greedy businessman

* A spoilt nasty little boy

* A gorgeous black-haired green-eyed girl

* Their house was big and tidy or tidy and big? I don �t know how to classiffy "tidy"!!!

Thanks, have a nice weekend!

Jorgelina

18 Aug 2012      

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I think that there are rules about which order they should be in, but Ihave no idea what they are. As far as your examples go I would change some of them:

A horrible greedy businessman - a greedy, horrible businessman

* A spoilt nasty little boy- A nasty, spoilt, little boy

* A gorgeous black-haired green-eyed girl - this one I wouldn �t change, but they could be in any order if you ask me. although Gorgeous has to be eith first or last - unless her eyes are gorgeous -

* Their house was big and tidy or tidy and big? I think I would say big and tidy - it was a big, tidy house as opposed to a small, untidy one.

18 Aug 2012     

COLOMBO
Russian Federation

The proper order of adjectives is listed below along with some examples for each category.
Determiners � a, an, the, my, your, several, etc.
Observations � lovely, boring, stimulating, etc.
Size � tiny, small, huge, etc.
Shape � round, square, rectangular, etc.
Age � old, new, ancient, etc.
Color � red, blue, green, etc.
Origin � British, American, Mexican, etc.
Material � gold, copper, silk, etc.
Qualifier � limiters for compound nouns.

Here are some examples:

"The interesting, small, rectangular, blue car is parked in my space."
"I bought a beautiful, long, red, Italian, silk tie."
"My father lives in a lovely, gigantic, ancient, brick house."
"I have an annoying, small, circular, American, tin, alarm clock that wakes me up."
"Let�s order a delicious, huge, rectangular, pepperoni pizza."
"We all love our smart, petite, British teacher."
"They all received several dazzling, small, ancient, gold coins."

"She owns a stunning, large, old, brown dog named Boris."

http://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/adjective-word-order

18 Aug 2012     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Look for an "Order of Adjectives" chart.  It helps to have one handy.

http://tx.english-ch.com/teacher/jocelyn/level-b/order-of-adjectives-chart/

http://nautilus.edu.mx/users/joyce/weblog/36696/Unit_7_Adjectives_Part_2.html

http://www.myenglishteacher.net/adjectivesorder.html

Pinky

18 Aug 2012     

katarinkam.
Slovakia

I �d like to thank Pinky Makus very much for the links above - at least two of them can solve much more than the "adjective-order issue" :). Thanks a lot.

18 Aug 2012     

ELOJOLIE274
France

the rule is usually from the less objective to the more objective

ex: a funny black cat ("funny" is considered as less objective because it depends on the point of view of the person who speaks, while "black" won �t change even if the speaker changes)

ex: a big tidy house ("big" it can depend on the point of view of the speaker, "tidy" = it is either tidy or not hence it �s more objective...)

see what I mean? but it also means that the writer can change the order of the adjectives if he wants to stress their objectivity/subjectivity...

18 Aug 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You see, Elodie, horrible and greedy are both opinion adjectives (as opposed to fact adjectives or as you said subjective vs objective) and so are nasty and spoilt, likewise black-haired and green-eyed could be both classified as describing colour, i.e. fact adjectives, and that is exactly what Jorgelina finds confusing: how to position two adjectives which fall under the SAME category?

So, any advice from the native speakers on that part?

Sophia

P.S. I myself am curious to know.

18 Aug 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, I �m a native speaker, but I �ve learned something! Thank you Colombo  - very clear rules - and others. I must say order of adjectives isn �t something I �ve taught, which is a good thing, as I didn �t know there were any rules! I just go with �what sounds right � and I agree with cindyfreksen, including putting in the commas. 

19 Aug 2012     

naky72
Ukraine

Some adjectives give a general opinion. We can use these adjectives to describe almost any noun:

goodbadlovely strange
beautifulnicebrilliantexcellent
awfulimportantwonderfulnasty

Some adjectives give a specific opinion. We only use these adjectives to describe particular kinds of noun:

Food: tasty; delicious
Furniture, buildings: comfortable; uncomfortable
People, animals: clever; intelligent; friendly

We usually put a general opinion in front of a specific opinion:

Nice tasty soup.
nasty uncomfortable armchair
lovely intelligent animal

http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/adjectives/order-adjectives

According to the table above nasty is a general opinion that �s why A nasty spoilt little boy is correct.

Horrible means bad that �s why it is a general opinion(in the table) and greedy is a specific opinion? so A horrible greedy businessman is correct.

I think tidy is an opinion and big is a size, that �s why Their house was tidy and big is correct.

A gorgeous black-haired green-eyed girl is correct because of the following diagram which is used for describing people:

name/age/build/height/hair colour/hairstyle/face/eyes/complexion/distinguishing features/dress/personality

Am I right?

19 Aug 2012     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Thanks!

21 Aug 2012