Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ANY IDEAS?    

ANY IDEAS?

Zora
Canada

... you know what? In the greater scheme of things... speaking and being able to communicate is what is really important.... so maybe as a teacher, who knows that her student has a problem - you could test her just orally... ALTHOUGH, if she is preparing something like First or Advanced, then this isn�t feasible...  

12 Jan 2009     

Greek Professor
Greece

Yes .. agree with all the above...
..but what can be done when this student wants to sit for the proficiency exam.. which of course is also written..

I know something has to be done... im trying.. first language and and second language..

well it seems i have to try harder..

EVERYBODY THANKS AGAIN..ITS GOOD TO KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE WILLING TO HELP YOU..
IM GRATEFUL TO YOU ALL..

12 Jan 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

This type of students is not "that" unusual" in the ESL class. They exist in all levels.

I think that he/she has developed a great proficiency of the language and now you have to help him/her to move to perfomance.The learning process implies a balance between both profiency and perfomance that may have been distorted.

You should search for some information by typing "enhancing speaking / writing perfomance in the esl class" or something like that.

Here you have some examples:

And if your student is trying to sit for an exam, I think that you should train him/her for that exam. There are some books that deal with that traiining and that practice may help him/her to improve his/her performance as well.

12 Jan 2009     

Zora
Canada

Here�s an idea, maybe your student should do "Trinity" or "TOEFL" instead - Trinity is a spoken exam and TOEFL is done by computer... not hand written like Cambridge exams. 

12 Jan 2009     

w3hw3t
Turkey

Hey Greek Professor,i had the same problem that u r talking about,i think it is most likely cause of student�s enviroment,Do u know the family,relatives or friends of the student?Are they kind of people who do oral production rather than written stuffs?

12 Jan 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Well...as you put it in your first message I understood you "questioned" your st about vocab and grammar.
One thing is to "question" and other to ask her/him to solve situations in which that specific vocab and grammar should be applied.

If he/she does well when speaking -producing orally- and has not problem to write, he/she should not have problems when writing.

I have noticed my students are more fluent and self-confident when producing orally than when writing but that is because we work all the time in that way and the written task -usually homework- is done in a hurry, without paying enough attention, while watching TV or doing any other thing...if ever done.
So, in my case, it is a question of practice.

Anyway,  much more grammar and vocabulary are needed when writing than when speaking.
It is another question to consider.

12 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2