Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Order of adjectives    

Order of adjectives

Urpi
Peru

Order of adjectives

Hello I found in a book the the first adjective is SIZE, but when I learnt English , it was Personal Opinion. Has it changed? I mean the order of adjectives?
Thanks.

22 Aug 2012      

Apodo
Australia

No, it �s not personal opinion - it �s common usage. Sometimes adjectives may be ordered differently for an effect or other reason, but generally size would come first.
Big red sports car wouldn �t be correct in any other order.

22 Aug 2012     

barbarachiote
Brazil

Well, according to Grammarway 2, the order of adjectives is:

Opinion adjectives then factual adjectives, for example: beautiful big round wooden table.

This way, opinion adjectives comes before SIZE, AGE, SHAPE,COLOUR, ORIGIN, MATERIAL.

I hope it might be helpful.

22 Aug 2012     

yanogator
United States

Apodo, I think you missed urpi �s point. It wasn �t that word order is a matter of personal opinion, but that adjectives expressing personal opinion come first, which they generally do. As you pointed out, however, the order can be changed for the purpose of emphasis.

Bruce

22 Aug 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

So to take Apodo �s example: a FABULOUS (opinion) big (size) red (color) sports (type) car

22 Aug 2012     

Urpi
Peru

Thanks a bunch to you all.

22 Aug 2012     

Apodo
Australia

Embarrassed Doh!

What a horrendously stupid big fat twit I am!

23 Aug 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Apodo LOL.  

All these rules to learn! I �m pleased I �m a native speaker.

23 Aug 2012     

jannabanna
France

Me too, Cunliffe!  I remember battling like mad with the French language 30 years ago when I came here and that was enough, believe me!!

23 Aug 2012