Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Broke or Broken    

Broke or Broken

magaly_108
Costa Rica

Broke or Broken

Can someone tell me which of these expressions is right to mean that you don �t have money to spend and why
I �m broke vs I �m broken

22 Aug 2012      

sofi_dy
Argentina

As far as I know, to be broke is often used when saying that you cannot do something because you do not have enough money to do it...
To be broken (inside), for example, means you are unhappy, it �s an expression or idiom that has nothing to do with money issues...

22 Aug 2012     

douglas
United States

"I �m broke." means I have no money

"I �m broken." means something on you does not function right (though this is usually used for objects more than  for people) or it means your spirit has been devastated ("since his divorce he �s a broken man").

23 Aug 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with sofy dy. If you are �broke �, you have no money and it �s a common expression.  We would rarely say �I �m broken � or �he �s broken � etc, we would though, say �He �s a broken man � and this means in an emotional sense (possibly financial as well.) As for the derivation, maybe it �s linked to �bankrupt. �   �Rupt � is from Latin meaning broken. Then there �s an expression �to broker a deal. � Maybe it has something to do with that?

(I was writing at the same time as Douglas. I agree with him as well!)           

23 Aug 2012     

aasott
United Kingdom

I �m broke means that i have no money.

23 Aug 2012     

HollyHirst
United Kingdom

http://www.westegg.com/etymology/ tells me that this is the origins of the phrase.  I thought I �d heard something similar and so checked it out.  Incidentally, it �s an interesting website for anyone interested in the origins of common phrases and words.

Broke (In the sense of having no money)
Many banks in post-Renaissance Europe issued small, porcelain "borrower �s tiles" to their creditworthy customers. Like credit cards, these tiles were imprinted with the owner �s name, his credit limit, and the name of the bank. Each time the customer wanted to borrow money, he had to present the tile to the bank teller, who would compare the imprinted credit limit with how much the customer had already borrowed. If the borrower were past the limit, the teller "broke" the tile on the spot.

23 Aug 2012     

esl-teacher
Peru

I �m broke means I don �t have any money

23 Aug 2012