Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Can anybody help me, please?    

Can anybody help me, please?

steelcity
France

and another thing... don �t always take for granted the:"our teacher told us last year" or "we didn �t do that with our teacher last year"...it �s often not true... it �s not a lie...they just tend to forget or interpret things the wrong way...

well... it �s not that big a deal... correct them, explain why it �s not possible to have want �s in a sentence and move on...Wink

25 Aug 2012     

DaniBH
Brazil

manonski, it �s just a way to express myself. Of course I didn �t cry, but it isn �t really nice to say "he taught you the wrong way", and of course I need to correct them. I just didn �t know how to say it.

But thanks everybody.

25 Aug 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Almaz - the apostrophe marks omission as well as possession, of course, which is what teachers try to teach, hopefully. I really don �t think youngsters get it wrong because of a mix-up made by 19th century grammarians! I think they get it wrong because of the reason I stated - teachers can �t really be bothered much with it. I don �t necessarily blame them, but the rules are not unclear or confusing.

Of course it doesn �t make me want to thump a poor innocent wall! No wall has ever harmed me, that I can think of Wink. Next time I use a phrase like that, I will put a little wink, so you know I am not absolutely serious. Walls should be left well alone, in my opinion, to get on with their own business.

Edit - It�s the 1960s, 1960�s isn�t the plural, btw.

25 Aug 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Lynne, you �re obviously entitled to your opinion - with or without any backup evidence - but I can �t let you away with "It�s the 1960s, 1960�s isn�t the plural, btw".
I �m afraid there �s too much (easily-available) evidence supporting both usages which suggests you didn �t really bother checking the literature before you made the claim, but I can give you a quote from the first source I checked:

Michael Swan �s Practical English Usage (Second Edition): "Apostrophes are used in the plurals of letters, and often of numbers and abbreviations." He then gives as an example, it was in the early 1960 �s. (or ... 1960s)

It may not be as common as it used to be - or even necessary, when you think about it - but that doesn �t make it any less of an acceptable plural marker.

26 Aug 2012     

< Previous   1    2