Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP NEEDED for first year in highschool    

HELP NEEDED for first year in highschool

Irishsweet
France

HELP NEEDED for first year in highschool

Hi everybody (especially French teachers),
I passed my CAPES this year in English and on Tuesday I will see all my classes (2 classes of seconde, one premi�re S, one terminale STG and one terminale ES) ... I �m totally scared ... I don �t know really what to do with my classes on the first day, and then for the first "project" ... would someone be so kind as to give me some advice and perhaps even send me a "first project"???? 
I also need some audio from school books (full impact terminale s�ries technologiques �dition 2012 / password English 2011 audio + video / New Bridges 2de - I borrowed the books from the CRDP to have more choice that �s why I haven �t got the CDs in my school) 
thanks a lot for your help
a desperate student teacher 

29 Aug 2012      

sophie85
France

Don �t worry too much : you can find lots of resources here , for the first lessons, ice breakers, how to introduce oneself etc... this will give you time to think about your first lessons / projects. I don �t know the book Full Impact, but you don �t have to use it immediately. 
However for the Terminales, I would suggest that you get information about the new bac , so as to present them what they will have to do. You can find the information on the net if you don �t already have it . 
Courage : :)

29 Aug 2012     

annelaure
France

va faire un tour sur le forum agreg ink, tu trouveras plein d �id�es!

http://community.agreg-ink.net/index.php?/index

t �inqui�tes, �a se passera bien!

29 Aug 2012     

ELOJOLIE274
France

with the 2nd and the 1eres why don �t you do a final project around facebook (and maybe tweeter if you feel like it)
the final task could be "you �re invited to a talk show about facebook" ask them to create different characters (you can guide them with pictures to help them realize they might not have the same opinion or the same experience with facebook...)
what you will need (competences, linguistics): talking about yourself, new technologies, talking about the past (preterit), about the present (BE + Ing + simple present), advice if you want to (should...)....
start your lesson plan with a 1 lesson about introducing themselves, then another one about them and new technologies (a quiz about their use of internet for example), then you can start talking about facebook maybe through a webquest (with number of users... things the talk show host can use in his/her introductions), then you can have one lesson showing different images (a teenager, a teacher, an old woman/man, ...) and different quotes about their opinion/experience (for example: "I met my boyfriend on facebook", "I keep in touch with my friends who live overseas..."). you can do an oral comprehension (I �ve got a few ones if you �d like!)...
see what I mean?
for the 1eres you can spice it up with extracts from the movie "a social network" and maybe an article on the woman who was fired because her boss discovered she said she was sick but she wrote on facebook she went out with friends...

hope it helps! i �ve got a few documents about new technologies if you need to :)

Edit: Annelaure, please remember everyone must be able to read our posts on the forum, it�s not very nice to write in French when most people won�t understand what you�re saying! but pleasing don�t be mad at me for saying so, I do not mean to be rude :=)

Edit: this may help: http://www.mediafire.com/?3gvyh9dqql6ep5u

29 Aug 2012     

cvrin
France

10 years ago I was crying because I didn �t know how to handle teaching in high school...

I do not have the book you mention in 2des, but during the first hour you can introduce yourself, explain your expectations... and have them introduce themselves. Then, make sure that you do not work in �skills groups �, otherwise you are supposed to work on one particular skill and one particular topic at the same time as your colleagues. But before that, you can spend another hour on a summer review, or start with sports and the olympics in 2de, perhaps even i 1ere and term if you base it on heroes, or progress, or spaces and exchanges.

Concerning your 1ere, I often start with a project about gap years, why go abroad (with the book Missions), or about being a fan (with Amy Winehouse last year)

You do not mention any book for TES?

Concerning Term STG, I am discovering �Full Impact �, new book for everybody, and starting with �a connected society �. I haven �t planned exactly how it will progress, but I should be able to share during the week end.

You can contact me directly, so I can give you my personal e mail.

Bye for now, don �t panic! We can help here, as well as on e-teach, agreg-ink...

S�verine

29 Aug 2012     

domif
France

Hi, have a look here ; there are lots of links like this http://pedagogie.ac-toulouse.fr/langues-vivantes/spip.php?rubrique17  . ON English academic sites . Bye

30 Aug 2012     

Irishsweet
France

thank you all for your help and encouragement ... feeling less desperate ;) 

30 Aug 2012