Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Lookign for examples:    

Lookign for examples:

Mini9
Peru

Lookign for examples:

I�m teaching Translation anD i FOUND these things, could you give me more examples about them... I really need them
A.   Translation by a Superordinate

This is one of the commonest strategies for dealing with many types of non-equivalence. It works equally well in most, if not all, languages, since the hierarchical structure of semantic fields is not language-specific.

Source text: Shampoo the hair with a mild WELLA-SHAMPOO.

Target text : Wash hair with a mild WELLA-SHAMPOO.

B.   Translation by a More Neutral / Less Expressive Word

Source text: The panda is something of a zoological mystery.

Target text : The panda may be called a riddle in zoology.

Although there is an equivalent for the word �mystery� in Chinese, it is mostly associative with religion. The translator feels that it would be wrong to use it in a zoological context.

5 Sep 2012      

MoodyMoody
United States

We actually don �t use the word "mystery" very often in a religious/mystical context anymore. (Yes, I used "mystical" on purpose, because originally mystery referred to something unknowable except by God telling us, such as transubstantiation.) Mystery today in English means closer to a puzzle, especially a crime puzzle. It is secret and unknown, but not necessarily with religious overtones. I actually prefer the use of mystery to riddle in the example above.

5 Sep 2012     

yanogator
United States

I definitely agree with MoodyMoody about the modern use of "mystery". Also, I really don �t understand what you are looking for examples of.

Bruce

5 Sep 2012     

douglas
United States

Note: it �s better to say "most common" vs "commonest" (in my book).

6 Sep 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

I think Mini9 might be looking for more examples of superordinates (or general class of words, eg �red � is a superordinate of �vermillion �, �crimson � etc; see here for some background) and neutral terms for translation purposes, but, as Bruce suggests, it �s not very clear if he/she just wants the underlined words treated - or even how they �ve to be treated - or if more examples of A and B are wanted.

6 Sep 2012