Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > teaching Mini schools for 2 to 6 year old    

teaching Mini schools for 2 to 6 year old

capi761
France

teaching Mini schools for 2 to 6 year old

Hello everybody,

My friends and neigbours are pressuring me to start a mini fun club, to teach their young kids english. I find the idea terrific as I have 2 kids too who would love that but I don �t know exactly where to start and what to do. I have never taught such young children (2 to 6 years old) as I have always worked with teenagers.
I was thinking of maybe starting singing some ritual songs to say hello , I guess some craft would be fine too after that, and maybe reading stories (with flashcards), some easy cooking, and maybe singing again to say good bye.
If some of you have already done that type of thing, do you have any trick to keep kids focused on what we are doing. How long should the session last too as I �m not sure they will be able to stay concentrated 1 hour long.
Can you share your experience with me and may be advise me on what and how to do ?

Thanks a million

capi761

8 Sep 2012      

silvia.patti
Italy

I have never had such an experience, but I think that the "lesson" should be not more than 30 minutes, as the children are really young. You have a lot of interesting ideas, don �t forget to let them colour, they love it.
Have fun with them, Silvia

8 Sep 2012     

baloochester
France

Some years ago I gave some private tuition to 2 little girls when they were 4years old. The lesson lasted 30 minutes no more. I taught them colours using sweets like smarties and if they got the colour right they could keep the sweet. As they were little girls I also used some toys to teach fruits and vegetables (toy fruit and vegetable play set) I also used plenty of flashcards and they loved nursery rhymes like Twinkle twinkle little star, or head and shoulders to learn some body parts

8 Sep 2012     

papadeli
Greece

5 and 6-year-olds can be taught the alphabet through craft, drawing and story telling.

Greetings from Greece,

8 Sep 2012     

mlongi
Lithuania

30 minutes max, indeed.
Little Bugs 1 (or 2- but I use it for my pupils who are 6)  is great method as well, with story cards and at the end of each "chapter" a little play to act out. There lots of songs, card games, bingo games...etc.

9 Sep 2012     

araveg
Spain

I have been teaching English to children from2 and 5 years old for twenty years. My classes are daily classes and thirty minutes every dayfor each group. I usually have different topics for each term. For instance in the first term my children learn about Colors, numbers, School, autumn, parts of the body and Christmas. In the second term they learn about winter, the house and the family and spring. In the third term they learn about animals, transports, food  and summer.

I don �t have a book. In my school teachers prepare all the stuff.  I prepare all my song, worksheets by myself. There are a lot of sites where you can find different stuff.

For each topic they usually learn:
- Vocabulary. I usually use flashcards. With these flashcards they can see the objects and the words. You can play with the flashcards too. You can say the word and they have to touch the object, etc. You can use your imagination.
- A song relating with the topic. For instance if your teaching colors. They can learn a song about colors.
- A short story or a tale relating with the topic.
- Worksheets.
- Games relating with the words the have already learned.
- Posters

I usually make posters where they have to draw or bring from home objects, pictures or photos relating with the topic you are teaching. They love making posters and stick objects up on the paper or on the wall.

I read tales and we make a big poster whith the stoy and the pictures. Here they can draw the stoy and the eldest can write them if they can how to write, or you can print the story in black and white and they can color it and write. Imagination is free.

You have to think that children of 2 years are different from children of 3, 4 or 5 years. Many children of 2 years cann �t speak, they can �t write , so on.  With children of 2 years I usually use flashcards and songs, but songs where they have to dance, to move. Action is involved. With flashcards I use them every day because if your take some minutes in pronouncing and showing by flashcards all the words they  have learned, these words remain in their minds and they don �t forget.

I hope this help you. If you need something tell me so.

Have a nice day

Arancha

9 Sep 2012