Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to teach vague and repetitive themes?    

How to teach vague and repetitive themes?

espamol
Portugal

How to teach vague and repetitive themes?

I �m going to teach 12th Form in a Portuguese school for the 1st time. Can you tell me where or who has got materials I can download because when I write down the contents I need no results come up. I researched some materials by Portuguese authors and can �t find anything concerning the 12th Form.
 The themes are :
-English around the world but more the historic evolution and future progress;( already taught about the importance of English in the 10th Form, which makes it even harder).
- Citizenship and multiculturalism;(in the 11th Form we already dealt with the multicultural society)
- Democracy in the global Era;
- Culture, art and society. 
 As the themes are so vague and some a bit repetitive, I need different texts and materials to motivate the students.
Please, help me. Even if you are not Portuguese but have resources about the mentioned topics. I �ll be very grateful.

10 Sep 2012      

portugueseteacher
Portugal

I �m sure I �ve already downloaded several worksheets on these topics.Try putting"multicultural","
social issues"...

10 Sep 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

English around the world, historic progress, and future evolution: did you teach about the different dialects of English, the differences among British, American, Canadian, Australian, Jamaican, etc., and how these differences came about? For future evolution, do you think that TV and the Internet will serve to further split English, or to homogenize it to be more the same?

Citizenship and multiculturalism: if you mean in English-speaking countries rather than Portugal, you might discuss the differences in naturalization requirements among different English-speaking countries.

Democracy in the global era: what effect has the Internet had on people �s participation in the democratic process? Have the Internet and social media made democracy more desirable in countries still ruled by dictators and repressive regimes?

Culture, art, and society: this one really is vague. I have no idea what Portuguese requirements along those lines are. On the other hand, the vaguer the subject, the more room there is for personal interpretation. I might try to tie this in with the Internet and social media and the effects of the Internet on popular culture, high culture, what is considered art, and cultural differences between young tech-savvy people and older tech-phobic people.

This is from a complete outsider, so my suggestions may not be appropriate for Portuguese schools. But there are no bad ideas in brainstorming, right?

10 Sep 2012     

jarek2011
Poland

As far as the history of the English language is concerned, I can recommend the following links (I am pretty sure that you know them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3r9bOkYW9s&list=FLQF26n_M6XwDVSWtPWSxoLQ&index=37&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2cCZX106AE&feature=BFa&list=FLQF26n_M6XwDVSWtPWSxoLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Weg44O9c58&feature=BFa&list=FLQF26n_M6XwDVSWtPWSxoLQ

There are zillions of other resources out there ready for us - teachers - to grab and the abovementioned ones can only supplement your teaching. There are  scripts and activities based on the videos on the Internet if you only want to incorporate them in your teaching.

11 Sep 2012