Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Activity for present simple vs present contiuous    

Activity for present simple vs present contiuous

caren_630
Egypt

Activity for present simple vs present contiuous

Dear colleagues,

My supervisor asked me to find a five minutes activity for my students after explaining present simple vs present continuous. My students are 11 years old and they are upper elemantry. She wants something that would only take 5 to 10 mins in class where everybody speaks. I can find some awesome games on esl; however, they are all time consuming. Any suggestions??
Thx in advance for all the awesome ideas u always come up with.  

11 Sep 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I used special flash cards which I made myself and the ss described people in them. The flash card would have "doors" which opened in the middle, on the door there would be a picture of a person doing an activity (it could be anything from daily chores to sports and recreation) and the doors would cover the person up to their head, on the doors there was a picture symbolising their say job. You coul ask your ss to make something like that and then present it in class.
E.g. This is ... (Mike, me, my favourite pop star...etc.) He/she is  a ..../I am a student at school such and such. Every day he/she/I ..... (some activity in Present Simple) Then they open the "doors" of their poster and describe the action inside in present continuous, "But here she/he is .....ing/ I am ....ing" Then other ss can ask him/her questions about the activities. If you like the idea, I �m sure you �ll think of something to elaborate...

more here
Sophia

11 Sep 2012     

puddyd
Oman

I usually do this the next day as warmer to recycle the language taught. I cut these up and the students choose one and they have to mime it and students have to guess and say it using present continuous.It �s funny , fun , memorable . You could later beam up or print off a copy of the mimes  and give it to them to do in pairs or as homework, but you must mix them up and make some statements present continuous and others present simple and see if they can do it.I hope this is helpful.

1.Stand on one foot while holding your book in your left hand.

2.Drink a cup of coffee or tea and talk on the phone.

3.Eat spaghetti.

4.Take your dog for a walk.

5.Give a baby its bottle

6.Drive a car in busy traffic.

7.Drive a car in busy traffic.

8.Put on make-up.

9.Lock a door and switch off the light .

10.Wash a car�s windshield inside and outside.

11.Play with a kitten.

12.Use a computer and show a power point presentation to the class.

13.Take you plate to the kitchen and wash your plate.

14.Watch television and change the channel.

15.Watch television and change the channel.

16.Fry and egg and make some toast.

17.Answer and send and sms during class

11 Sep 2012