Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with the sentence    

Help with the sentence

gordana44
Croatia

Help with the sentence

Hello everyone!

Can anyone tell me if this sentence is correct?

In my town there are a library, a museum, a hotel and many banks.

Many thanks.

11 Sep 2012      

NanG
Argentina

Hi  gordana44 !

I would say In my town there IS a library, a museum, a hotel and THERE ARE many banks.

11 Sep 2012     

RileyR
Israel

I want to add that the reason you use IS in the first part is because there is only one library, one museum and only one hotel. What u did is taking three sentences that talks about something in singular and combining them together but you still talk about one thing. When u use "a bank" in a sentence, it always goes with there is a bank. a is only for singular. Than in the second part you have to add there are because you talk about more than one thing. I hope what I said makes sense...

11 Sep 2012     

yanogator
United States

I �m sorry to throw reality into the picture, but in the US, at least, we don �t follow this textbook rule in speaking. We think of it more as "In my town there are the following: a library, a museum, a hotel and many banks", so what we say is usually "In my town there are a library, a museum, a hotel and many banks". It actually sounds strange to American ears with "is". I don �t know what the practice is in other English-speaking countries.

Bruce

11 Sep 2012     

jannabanna
France

In England we say:  In my town there is a library, a museum, a hotel and many banks. It would be very strange to use "are".  See:

12 Sep 2012     

foose1
United States

Sorry Bruce,
   I don �t agree with you.  I say, "there is a library, a museum, a hotel and also many banks." 
Is sounds strange to me.  But then again, I am from Arizona. 
John

12 Sep 2012     

gordana44
Croatia

Thank you all to reply to my question. I understand the rule of there is and there are but in this sentence I was not sure what is the right sentence structure.

12 Sep 2012