Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Walking and talking English    

Walking and talking English

colibrita
United Kingdom

Walking and talking English

Hi All

Does anyone do conversation classes combined with city or countryside walks? People are so busy these days I thought there might be a market for combing learning with exercise. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

I have googled it by the way but I �d love to know if any of you have personal experience.

Thanks

Colibrita

12 Sep 2012      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Yes! Colibrita, I have taken my students into town and walked around asking them Vocabulary questions.

I have also been able to explain aspects of British culture which they saw, but didn �t understand.

I asked lots of questions.

"What is the name of that, in the station/shop/house/cinema/hotel/etc?"

"How many cars/people/children/doors/etc. are there here?"

"How many colours can you see?  As you say the name, point to the colour, please."

"Tell me the name of something that you can see which is --- green/made of wood/moving/a person/something you can eat/an animal/etc.  Point where it is, please!"

"I Spy with my Little Eye, Something beginning with �S �, and then everyone must try to guess what it is.  Snake? --- No!  Shop? --- No!  Sausage --- Yes, Maria, Sausage!  Now it �s your turn, Maria."

"I can see a Taxi.  Can anyone spell �Taxi � for me?" 

"What is the name of that man in the blue uniform?"

"Tell us the work that he does, please."

"What is the name of this shop?"

"Tell me 6 things that they sell in this shop."

"We can see the traffic lights.  What will be the next colour?"

"We are in the fruit shop/etc.  What is the name of this vegetable/fruit/flower?  How do you spell it?"

"Students, I want you to make notes, and when we return to Class, I want you to write a short essay, describing 5 interesting things that you saw today."

"Maria, you are a stranger in this town.  Robert, you live in this town.  Maria, you want to go to the Toilets/Museum/Supermarket/Cinema/House Number 25/Nearest Lamp Post/etc. (which is near us) so you ask Robert the directions.  Robert, you give Maria directions from here to that place.  You must both use polite Greetings and Farewells".

"Students, from here, if we walk straight ahead and take the first left, what can we see/what is the name of the Street/are we in the Park or at the Railway Station/etc?

If there is a Park, an Open-Air-Market, Street Entertainment, a River, a Farm, a Railway Station, etc. these can be excellent topics.

I hope that I have helped.

Les

12 Sep 2012     

teachonthebeach
Brazil

I did it with one student, a good while ago when I used to live in England in a place that was perfect for that as it had a lovely great big lake.  It was a quiet place, and flat, so you didn �t get too out of breath to talk. 
He loved it, and learned quite a lot, even though I was a novice teacher at the time. 

The great outdoors has a wonderfully un-inhibiting effect on students, so you can push them to do stuff they �d normally be shy about.  That student was pretty open minded though anyway, which is how I got him out there in the first place.  Here in Brazil I doubt anybody would be up for it, and even if they were, there aren �t any good walks near where I now live - everywhere you go you get accosted by folk trying to sell you stuff. 

The advice I would give to you is, if you �re used to using paper a lot, wean yourself off that habit first, and start thinking about the realia you will use instead out on your walk, which will be scenery, weather, signs/notices, found objects and perhaps clothes.  I guess you may be able to bring maps into it somehow too, but I never tried that.

12 Sep 2012     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Dear Les and Teachonthebeach

Thanks for your very helpful ideas.

A big hug from a lovely sunny Barcelona

Colibrita

13 Sep 2012