Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Refreshing English    

Refreshing English

miss_ruchi
India

Refreshing English

Hi,

I�ve been teaching English for a over one and a half year now and I feel that my own language is suffering big time. For the first year I was teaching foreigners and so the type of mistakes were different and numerous... i�ve listened to that for over 400 minutes a day and now i feel very scared.

Actually I�m not a native English speaker but have picked up language through listening.. now as i repeat the process incorrectly i�m afraid it will be bad for me... I do try to talk to my friends but recently I�ve been stuck for good expressions and language...i was forced to use very basic and childlike language even while talking to my friends....

Do you guys face the same problem...?

Can you share some ideas to get out of this problem..?

Thanks in advance for your replies...

ruchi

14 Jan 2009      

cheezels
New Zealand

Last night I was watching a swedish movie with english subtitles, but I was listening really carefully to the swedish while reading the subtitles (to help me with my swedish)...then halfway through the movie the subtitles stopped....I turned to my partner and said OH NO whats happened to the subtitles???!!!! He looked at me REALLY strangely.... and so I repeated the question...
Well.. he said... there are no subtitles for this part because they are speaking in ENGLISH..
I was embarrassed Embarrassed I had been concentrating on the swedish so much that momentarily I had not realised they were speaking english (my native language by the  way....)....

14 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

Watch videos and read books--it helps.

15 Jan 2009     

miss_ruchi
India

Hi cheezels,

Really funny...and yes it�s so true... uplifting for me..thanks

15 Jan 2009     

miss_ruchi
India

Hi Douglas,

i�ve been doing that but you know while speaking i�m facing problems....would you know if there are any groups of people, maybe a forum where you can go and talk to other teachers or people with good language skills....?

and a big thanks for you replying for both of my posts....

cheers

15 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

Living in a multi-lingual household, I get my practice of different languages at home and at work so I never have tried to find any such forums.  I am sure their are some out there though.  If it gets too bad try taping yourself "free speaking" on a subject and then play it back (warning! this can be a traumatic experience!).  Unless you are used to hearing yourself on tape, you may be appalled at first.  Try to ignore the initial shock and focus on your communication techniques from a third person perspective.  It will definately help you improve not only your language, but your communication skills as well.

...you might get a good laugh out of it too (I used to use this for communications courses I taught)

Douglas

15 Jan 2009     

miss_ruchi
India

Thanks a ton Douglas! I have a feeling that this will work...thanks

i�ll try it out!

19 Jan 2009