Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Office and Accounting    

Office and Accounting

GIOVANNI
Canada

Office and Accounting

Hello Everyone:

I have just been given a course at our college which is based on teaching English to people who are studying office and accounting.  I will have to base my classes mainly on business. Has anyone ever taught this type of  class and if so, does anyone have any good suggestions or worksheets.  I looked on the business section of our site and found some material which may help me.  Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

15 Jan 2009      

urpillay
Spain

Hi Nancy,
Sorry I cannot help in another way, because I haven�t taught business English, but you can find some resources on the net:

I hope these links help!!
INMA ALC�ZAR

15 Jan 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Thanks Silke and Urpillay.  The beauty of this site is the generosity that people have shown with their time.  We as teachers are always busy, but day after day I see members of this site giving their time to help others.  I applaude you all the the help and knowledge you have given to others.

Hi5 and Myspace Glitter Graphics: Thank You

15 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

I haven�t taught any business English (as a second language) yet. I have just started to put together some things for my advanced students(adult) that I will probably start teaching this spring. I did find one book that looks like it will be very helpful: Barron�s ESL Guide to American Business English.  The ISBN is 0-7641-0594-9.  It has a wide variety of examples of different business correspondence and also covers grammar, culture and customs and has a lot of usable exercises.  I was especially happy with the honesty of the author in the culture and customs section.  I think you can get it from Amazon for about $20 (US).

Good Luck,

Douglas

15 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

Hi Giovanni - I�m working on a worksheet with office activities. Will upload it soon. Unfortunately have to redo quite a bit, as my computer crashed last night when I was almost finished. Cry Word wouldn�t let me save anything anymore and apparently hadn�t done so for a while, though I kept telling it to regularly... :-( Sigh!

@ Douglas - thanks for the tip with the book! I only know my bit about the British point of view, so I went and ordered the book to learn more about the Americans. (Do you get provision for that? Wink)

15 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

No problem Mietz, glad I could help.  Be warned, most of the example letters in the book use a colon directly after the greeting--a style that I don�t think is widely used (anybody have some advice on this?).  I have already had a couple of colleagues ask me about it.  I told them I have traditionally used a comma and know others that use no punctuation after the greeting.  I also tell them the main thing is to be consistent in whichever style they do choose.  Looking forward to your worksheet.

and, no, I don�t get a provision (wouldn�t that be nice!) ;-)

15 Jan 2009