Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I´m stuck! and need some suggestions    

I´m stuck! and need some suggestions

_babz
Canada

I´m stuck! and need some suggestions

Hello gang,

I need some help, and since I value your help, I figured, why not.

I�ve been teaching the novel �Hatchet� by Gary Paulsen, for the last 5 years, in an advanced English class - grade 8(for those teaching in Quebec, anglais enrichi -sec2)

Students get an activity booklet, that I designed, filled with questions. We read most of the book in class, with audio-CD. Students have told me that it helps them a lot. And finally, as a big final project, students have to create a board game project based on the book (which i will eventually put all this stuff on eslprintables)

here�s the thing: the book�s kinda boring, very repetitive and very few enjoy the book....so, do I keep the book, I mean I have so much material on it? Or do I accomodate my students?

Any suggestions? What would make a good replacement?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Confused

15 Jan 2009      

libertybelle
United States

Drop the book.  If you don�t love it, your kids won�t love it either.
No one learns if they�re bored.

Time for a change. Give it a rest.
There are millions of wonderful books out there.
Find one you love - there�s no substitute for enthusiasm.

My 8th graders love the book by Stephen King called THE BODY.
It�s a great book to compare being young in the 50�s-60�s and now.
There is also a lot of material on the net.

Good luck
L

15 Jan 2009     

lorettad
United States

Hi, for my high school esl students, we have copies of an adapted version of the Odyssey. It is very difficult for them to read, so basically, we don�t read all of it. but i want to keep it because of the timeless themes. I take out paragraphs which review some targeted vocabulary or important plot pieces. I use those paragraphs for vocab and grammar study. For the chapters that we skip, i simply tell the studetns what happened. Maybe some of this applies to your Hatchet book? If you still feel it is worth teaching, you have a lot of engaging activities already made, you could condense the actual reading of the book?

take care!

16 Jan 2009     

angryparrot
United Kingdom

Some of the teachers I have met have said that Flowers for Algernon is a book that kept their student�s attention, apparently it is also good for getting the kids to correct grammar mistakes as the book is written from the point of view of a mentally slow person.

I have taught some Roald Dahl stories before but perhaps this will be too easy for your advanced classes.

Good luck!

16 Jan 2009     

LA LUNA
Mexico

I do agree with the other teachers. I know you�ve created lots of material based on it but there is no sence in using it if you find it boring. Remember it�s the way you feel toward something the way you share it and show it. So as libertybelle said there are hundreds od options. If you could create activities for this one you will for any other one!

Good luck!!

16 Jan 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

If you think the book is kind of boring, it says it all.  I know it�s hard when you have everything prepared but in my opinion you are better off starting with something new.  Lord of the Flies is a very popular book and there is so much on the internet on this book that you will not have a lot of work to do.  If not,  like Libertybell said, there are millions of wonderful books out there.  Good luck on your choice.

16 Jan 2009     

_babz
Canada

Thanks a lot everyone...

Ya, I think I�m going to do some research, and find a better book!

Does that mean nobody wants the material I did? lol

I�ll be uploading the material soon...it will probably make me feel much better (by the way, its more of a grade 6 book...if anyone�s interested)

Thanks again!
Thumbs Up

16 Jan 2009