Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I have problems controlling my class (Elementary school)    

I have problems controlling my class (Elementary school)

RukiaK
Mexico

I have problems controlling my class (Elementary school)

I just got graduated from college and I started working about a month ago in a elementary school. I have all the groups from 1st grade to 6th grade. 

I was enthusiastic at first but the other teachers started telling me I needed to raise my voice a little bit more... and that I have problems controling my class because the students don �t pay attention to me ... I was really shocked by those comments, I don �t know what am I doing wrong... maybe I don �t have enough experience nor authority to make my students be quiet ...
I �m sad I really want to be a good teacher.... Is just that in 1st and 3rd grade the students don �t listen to me and 6th grade is a chatty group...
Any suggestions please? I really need your help :(

18 Sep 2012      

cahitkanra
Turkey

Hello!

First of all the grades you mentioned (1st to 3rd grades) are really active children. So you need to make them busy with the activities. otherwise since their attention span is very low they will start chatting with each other.
Try to prepare a communicative environment for your students to make them use the language instead of chatting each other. 
You need to put your rules and show your students that your rules are important both for them and for you. I mean if you say that all the students have to bring their homework to school and when someone doesn �t bring his/her homework then never omit this situation. Because when you omit this situation for just once then the students will also try it.  

18 Sep 2012     

orly100
Israel

Hi,
I once saw this sentence while surfing the net and I keep it with me ...
You can try to motivate the students by using:

Behavior management

ClassDojo is an easy way to engage your classroom by recognizing positive behaviors as they happen.

OrlyThumbs Up

18 Sep 2012     

manonski (f)
Canada

First of all, raising your voice won �t solve the problem. Speak in a normal voice. It �s up to the students to stop talking and pay attention when you teach. No matter what age they are.

It is true that younger students are way more active. Maybe you need to do something to let the energy out before you get to business. Maybe a little dance, a little routine activity.
Break down your class in smaller activities.

For the older ones students, I usually play music when they work. The volume is not really high and I pick songs they like. When they ask me to turn it up, I ask them to "turn themselves down" instead which usually do the trick. 

One thing I tell my students is that a good behavior gives them privileges and bad one gives consequences. It �s up to them to decide what they want.  Find out what they like and dislike.

In your career, you will end up with bad and good groups. Don �t hesitate to ask your colleagues what are the winning actions they �ve taken with those same students.

18 Sep 2012     

Zora
Canada

First of all, you �ve been given great advice by the others. Second of all, you are in charge of your classes, not the other teachers. YOU know if they are learning or not, they don �t.

I worked in Spain and I do know that quite often older teachers that have been in the same position forever, like to bully, badger or just generally discourage younger, more innovative teachers... I am not sure why, but I suspect that if your kids start learning and having fun that means they (the other teachers) might have to get off their high horses and make their classes more interesting... i.e. do some real teaching and not just assign exercises from the book.

I �d take their criticism with a grain of salt. If the children are learning and having fun at the same, all I can say is - good for you! Clap

18 Sep 2012     

Istruka
Portugal

Hi,

I agree with Zora but if you really think your younger students don�t behave try this: make a table of behaviour and give stars, like the ones attributed to hotels, and at the end of the month give the best ones a gift like a candy or something else. It worked for me.

18 Sep 2012     

Mariethe House
France

Why not try these:
9 cool management tricks:
http://busyteacher.org/3578-classroom-management-tricks.html

Good luck and trust yourself!Big smile

@Zora: How about old teachers being looked down upon by young teachers because they still believe in innovating , even just before retirement!!Big smileHug BTW it is so nice to see you here!Heart  Give us some news Wink

18 Sep 2012     

RukiaK
Mexico

THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU GUYS!!!  I really appreciate your help, I �ll work harder to become a better teacher for my students

I �m going to try your ideas.... Thank you thank you!

Hug

18 Sep 2012     

millmo
France

Hi

I had the same problem a few years ago when I started. I found that you cannot be too friendly, the children take advantage of this and start to misbehave. Be prepared to have a bad year, but do not give up. You may find that it is too late to get control now, however, as it is still early in the year you may be ok. You need to go in to class, explain that now that school has settled down lessons are going to begin properly and these are the rules. State clearly your rules (for example I have simple rules, no moving around class without permisssion, raise your hand to speak, during group activities "silence" when you hear me clap). Explain that if the rules are broken then there will be penalties ( for example: I write the name on the blackboard and then each time I put a line, after three lines they have to do extra work - you decide!). You must also reward good work and behaviour, certificates for good work, star charts etc. If a naughty child has behaved well during a lesson I ask them to stay behind and then congratulate them on their behaviour. I have found that you need to start the year fairly strict and then after a few weeks when the children are used to your rules you can soften and have more fun with them. It �s not perfect, but it is what I have experienced!  Good luck.

19 Sep 2012     

mizutamari
United States

As a rule, keeping the lesson moving quickly and interestingly will help keep attention.  They usually can �t misbehave if they don �t have time to.  This is generally this is the first go-to method I use.  It also keeps students from getting bored and zoning out.

And as others have pointed out, be consistent with how you deal with behavior every time!  This is so important, especially for younger students.  If you aren�t consistent they won�t understand why you let it slide yesterday, but it�s not OK today.  Older students might just take advantage of you.

Nonetheless, sometimes it �s still necessary to correct behavior even after trying the two methods above.  It �s a lot easier to correct behavior problems in older students than in younger students.

Younger students you can generally use their natural desire to please you and be praised to your advantage.  Generally if you praise the good behavior of one student, other students will desire the same praise.

If praise alone does not work, you can try using stickers or stamps.  Perhaps put a sticker chart up in the class.  You can even offer small prizes for students when they reach a certain amount of stickers if they need further motivation.  You can make well behaved students your helper, or let them be first to receive assignments, announcements, participate in fun activities, etc.

For students who act up, point out their bad behavior, but also be sure to verbally acknowledge any positive changes, no matter how slight.  Even adults will quit listening to someone else if all they hear is criticism.

For older students, sometimes it helps to make good behavior into a class competition.  You can put rows into teams and have their team names on the board. (ex. red, blue, green, yellow)  Each time you see good behavior from one team, add a point under their name on the board.  When you see bad behavior, take away a point from that team.  You can use the same sticker chart to denote which team has the most wins, or you can give stickers and the like to individual team members.  Or you can even reward the good team with 5 minutes free reading time or something of the like at the end of class if you don �t care for using stickers.

By employing some of these methods in time the students should learn naturally the good points of having a smoothly flowing class and to respect you and others.

19 Sep 2012     

RukiaK
Mexico

Thank you @millmo! your information is really helpful, yeah, I guess I have to have unsuccesful classes in order to improve...and now I know that we really learn from our mistakes
Your ideas are great! thank you!

@mizutamari THANK YOU, I �m really trying hard to become a good teacher and I �m glad all of you are giving me your support with your valuable information, I really love this site because of that, and I really thank your attention. 

Love u guysHug

19 Sep 2012