Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Donīt tell me to calm down! ; )    

Donīt tell me to calm down! ; )

colibrita
United Kingdom

Donīt tell me to calm down! ; )

Hi,

How do you interpret the phrase "take it easy!"

Context: you īre having difficulties with something and somebody then says "take it easy!" for me that always means pretty much "hey calm down don īt get so hysterical"  However, I have found that many non-native speakers, including my husband seem to think it īs a nice way to say calm down, don īt worry. It always gets my hackles up!! ; ) 

I guess it īs like "calm down" - depending on your tone it can be nice or reproachful. Furthermore when I see it written down my first reaction is always annoyance. I AM calm! ; )

Oh the subtleties of language!

Butterfly kisses

Colibrita

19 Sep 2012      

David Lisgo
Japan

"Take it easy!", in the situation you describe certainly comes over as a criticism though... If someone says "Take it easy while I make the tea, then we can sort this thing out together." would be fine unless that still stings one īs pride. Of course if you īre about to take the hammer to the computer, it may be appropriate.

David

19 Sep 2012     

millmo
France

depends on the situation. If I am teaching my son to drive for example, I may say, Ok, drive straight on, take it nice and easy" meaning "no rush", if I he was shouting at me about something I might say "ok, take it easy"...that is, "calm down!!!!!! Like everything you can change things to suit!

19 Sep 2012     

almaz
United Kingdom

Similar reaction to people who say īLighten up. It īs only a joke! ī after you object to another of their stupid racist comments.

Or when they make some mind-numbingly banal platitude and, before you even have a chance to say anything, they immediately follow it up with īGet over it. ī
īBooks are for reading. Get over it. ī

19 Sep 2012     

Zora
Canada

Well, to me it means - īdon īt get hysterical or relax, take a deep breathe... ī 

19 Sep 2012     

tulpen25
Netherlands

If someone is yelling, I could say "take it easy."

I could also use it if someone is feeling under the weather and about to face a day of work. I might say "take it easy today and make sure you don īt work too hard!"

19 Sep 2012     

foose1
United States

I too get upset when I see it written.  It wouldn īt matter how they wrote it either.  They think I am upset when I am not and I don īt think they should be guessing what state I am in.  I have gotten upset when people say that to me when they think that I am upset.  To me, it īs just people trying to overdride you at times.  It isn īt that they don īt understand what they are saying.  It īs more of a power trip they are on or something. I havn īt ever told someone to take it easy when they were apparently upset.  I would just help them out.  If they were working too hard, I might say, "take it easy" or you need a rest.
John

19 Sep 2012     

abba
Spain

So then, if you want to tell somebody to calm down/take sth easy but you don īt want him/her to think that s/he is acting in a hysterical way what would be more correct to say?

19 Sep 2012     

yanogator
United States

If they aren īt excited, you don īt need to tell them to calm down, so I don īt quite understand your question. If they are showing excitement, but you don īt want to let them know that, there īs no easy way to say it. In that case, you just continue the conversation normally and hope they calm down.

Bruce

19 Sep 2012     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Colibrita,

I usually say: "Relax!"

My Thesaurus gives:

Calm down; loosen up; take it easy; take things easy; let yourself go; hang loose; cool it; chill out; lighten up; ease off; let up; (in the Army: At Ease!)

Les

19 Sep 2012