Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Please help me    

Please help me

Urpi
Peru

Please help me

Hello dear colleagues:

I have an example wich is as folllow: It�s time we went.

I don not understand the use of the past tense. Are there any exercises here about this It is time plus past simple?

19 Sep 2012      

miyoko71
Morocco

I �ve found this explanation:
After it �s time or high time we use past tense. After high time always. We can say that it is time to leave. It �s time we left. Between the two the difference the second expresses that the correct time has arrived, that it is a little late.

"It �s high time we went". This is quite an unusual structure because it has what looks like a simple past form - "went", the past of the verb "to go." - "It �s high time we went." - What is unusual about this is that this sentence is not talking about the past at all! There are a number of phrases, all using the word "time" where this happens. 

We have the example - "It �s high time we went", but you could also say: 

- It �s time we went, or 
- It �s about time we went 

and you can use a continuous form as well: 

- It �s time we were going 
- It �s about time we were going, and 
- It �s high time we were going 

The past form in these examples is, I think, the subjunctive form of the verb. The subjunctive is often used when we talk about unreal or imagined situations.
ou can remember the time expressions I mentioned above as fixed expressions and they all have more or less the same meaning. They are quite formal in their use and are stating that it �s time that something happened. A parent might say to a child, for example - "it �s time you went to bed!" Which means "I want you to go to bed". 

In the party situation you could say,  "let �s go!" - but you could also say - "It �s time we went." You can imagine the person who said that might be looking at their watch and worrying perhaps about catching a train. 

And if the situation is a little more urgent, we use the expression "It �s high time" which means it �s very important that this happens now - "It �s high time we left - come on or we �ll miss the train." Or again a parent might say to an older child - "It �s high time you found a job, young man!"

I hope this helps 

19 Sep 2012     

Urpi
Peru

Clap  Thanks so much.

19 Sep 2012