Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Mother tongue colleagues    

Mother tongue colleagues

LUCETTA06
Italy

Mother tongue colleagues

Dear mother-tongue colleagues, I need your help. I was asked to translate these sentences, it �s the title of a scientific publication:
ANALYSIS OF TONOMETRIC CHANGES BY CONTINUOUS RECORDING CARRIED OUT THROUGH CONTACT LENSES IN PATIENTS SUBMITTED TO WATER DRINKING TEST, CORRELATION WITH TONOMETRIC CHANGES IN THE FELLOW EYE.

In your opinion, is the meaning clear enough? Are there any mistakes?Thanks,

Lucia.

26 Sep 2012      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Lucia,
I �m not going to attempt the whole thing, because it doesn �t make any sense to me (Not knowing what "tonometric" means is part of the problem). I don �t know what a water drinking test has to do with wearing contact lenses.

Here �s what I will contribute:
"a water drinking test"
We wouldn �t ever say "the fellow eye". I might suggest "the other eye", which doesn �t sound exactly right to me, but it �s the best I can come up with.
I might also say "and the correlation with..."

Bruce

26 Sep 2012     

alexcure
Poland

Hi Lucia, it will help when you send us the original, Italian version (I am not a native speaker but I can ask my husband for help)

26 Sep 2012     

LUCETTA06
Italy

Thanks Bruce  for your suggestions.
 A DRINKING TEST sounds better to me , too. It �s a test for people affected by glaucoma. It �s difficult to say what �tonometric � means exactly, but that �s the word.
Big Hug
Lucia. 

26 Sep 2012     

LUCETTA06
Italy

Thanks Alex,
this is the original version:ANALISI DELLE VARIAZIONI TONOMETRICHE MEDIANTE REGISTRAZIONE CONTINUA CON LENTE A CONTATTO IN SOGGETTI SOTTOPOSTI A TEST DA CARICO IDRICO, CORRELAZIONE CON VARIAZIONI TONOMETRICHE DELL�OCCHIO ADELFO.

26 Sep 2012     

alexcure
Poland

I �ll write more tomorrow, for now I have found the translation of the �occhio adelfo �:

26 Sep 2012     

LUCETTA06
Italy

Yes, Alex, you are right, in fact, in Italian  � Occhio adelfo �  is also known  as � occhio controlaterale �.

26 Sep 2012     

maryse pey�
France

May "carico" mean "pressione" = "pression" or "mass" ? Maybe "compression" ?

Plenty of hugs my friend.

Maryse.

27 Sep 2012     

alexcure
Poland

The �water-drinking� test is fine:  http://www.eyeworld.org/article-the-water-drinking-test-in-glaucoma

It would be more or less sth like that: THE ANALYSIS OF TONOMETRIC CHANGES VIA CONTINUOUS RECORDINGS CARRIED OUT WITH CONTACT LENSES IN PATIENTS SUBMITTED TO THE WATER-DRINKING TEST, AND THE CORRELATION WITH TONOMETRIC CHANGES IN THE CONTRALATERAL EYE

27 Sep 2012     

LUCETTA06
Italy

Thank you Maryse and Alex for your help, I think it �s perfect now. Not easy to translate into scientific laguage and find the most appropriate word.
Thanks again,
Lucia.

27 Sep 2012     

yanogator
United States

I think I �d stick with "the other eye", since we only have two, so there �s the one being studied, and the other one. I think "contralateral" (meaning on the opposite side) is far too formal a word, even for a piece of medical writing.

Bruce

27 Sep 2012     

1    2    Next >