Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Class with students at different levels    

Class with students at different levels

yetigumboots
Germany

Class with students at different levels

Hi Guys,

I have been teaching an adult beginners class last year. This semester they have filled the rest of the class with new beginners.  I don �t want to start at the beginning again with the �old � student.  Does anyone have any idea how I can keep the class going with two levels of students in it????

Thanks for your help

Yeti x

28 Sep 2012      

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Hi Yeti, I suggest you take a look at the following site for some ideas:

Hope that helps - I also teach multilevel classes and I know what a challenge that is - I mainly teach topics; use games; pair up stronger students with weaker ones (but not all the time) and I use scaffolding for the weaker students. 

Good luck.

28 Sep 2012     

class centre
Belarus

Hi there! I teach groups of more or less the same level but every child has his or her own task.  It �s  far bigger load for me but so beneficial for the students! I can change my voice  and approach in each "office"according to the student �s perception. I also can give a more or less difficult task to the students etc. Have a look at our class and you will understand how it works.

28 Sep 2012     

perma
Greece

some tips that might help:

- Don �t give very difficult tasks anyway. All your students are at a low level and it �s important for them to feel confident that they can do the tasks.
- When practicing grammar use only the simplest vocabulary in your sentences. When you teach for example the present progressive, focus on form only. If the grammar practice exercises contain difficult words they won �t understand anything.
- Include drill type exercises. The "older"students can revise acquired knowledge and the new ones can get familiar with the new forms. 
- Subtly encourage the new students to answer the easier questions.
- Give supplementary material to the new students to study and learn at home during the weekend. A pictionary of basic verbs would be a good start I think.
- Generally try to use flashcards, pictionaries, matching etc for new vocabulary items. 
- I think it generally helps weaker students to teach in topics, as Terri said.

Good luck with your new class!

28 Sep 2012