Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Back to excessive background colours and borders.    

Back to excessive background colours and borders.

eng789
Israel

Back to excessive background colours and borders.

I am not going to mention names but, do you really think  that borders that look

like BARBED WIRE or COCKTAILS WITH LITTLE UMBRELLAS (alcoholic drinks) 

are suitable for wss???? 

NOT ALL THAT GLITTERS, IS GOLD

Everyone makes mistakes and I have seen some very ecessively colourful pages that weren�t worth the effort to remove the decoration because the "language" wasn�t up to par.

And I have seen pages with incredible potential that I have spent up to an hour revising because the content was good.

17 Jan 2009      

renca
Czech Republic

As for the colourful worksheets, I would also like to ask those members who use Microsoft Publisher to minimize its use. If you save the ws as picture, it is not possible to change, neither are the mistakes that appear in the ws. It is not easy to spot a misprint or another mistake in the preview window, and my experience is that after downloading I decided not to use some wss as the correction and alterations would be more time-consuming than producing them. Thanks for your attention.

17 Jan 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

This is my position
It does takes me some time to get rid of colors and illustrations as well, as I basically teach adults; so you cannot say "
It isn�t very difficult to " get rid" of the colors." to quote lefevre, and you cannot say "if you don�t like the colors, don�t download it," either; after all resources are here to be shared�
Regarding your funny experience, it�s a pity that colorful worksheets are more downloaded than sober ones
It could mean, in this case, that we download the form not the content, which is, again, a pity

Thank you all for sharing everything here: you are the nicest and most attaching community I have ever met on the net

Have an excellent weekend

Brahim

17 Jan 2009     

Mietz
Germany

I really don�t think that we just download printables because they are colourful. I�ve seen printables here that were very colourful, but they had barely any downloads. People do judge about usability apart from colour. I really think so. To me the pictures/ colours are actually often an indication, if the worksheet is useful for me or not. Pics for/ with children or a pink background usually mean, that the content is focused on that age group, so I usually can�t use them and don�t download them.
Also a lot of the stuff for adults isn�t that colourful anyway - I can still pick the worksheets appropriate for me.
As for the backgrounds. Removing them takes less time, than making the worksheet myself.
As for using Publisher. I totally agree. I don�t like not being able to make corrections. There are only very few worksheets that I download, even though they are unchangable.

17 Jan 2009     

BondGirl007
Malta

THERE ARE COCKTAILS THAT ARE NON ALCOHOLIC! JUST A MIXTURE OF JUICES. AND TRUST ME THE TASTE IS GREAT!

17 Jan 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I do use Pulishers for the picture part of my worksheets. Then I insert the image in a Word doc and insert text from that Word document. That way, if someone wants to change my text, they have the possibility to do that. I understand that the vocabulary might change from one place to another. Here we say pants, other places, they say trousers. By doing my texts on .doc, I leave the choice to the members.

17 Jan 2009     

joebcn
Andorra

I think most of you are right in a way. There is too much colour in some worksheets, especially background and borders, and that makes copies not very attractive to our students. I also had to take out some "bears" and Kitties" because I teach adults, but I am sure adult people like visuals as well. Worksheets with Gardfield and THE SIMPSONS characters are a big success in my older  students.

I use colour in my worksheets because I find them more attractive but I would never tell others not to use it.  Obviously you prefer to upload colourful worksheets because they attractive, but we must consider if it is worth downloading a worksheet with no real content. The preview is a very useful tool. I always use it before downloading. It is time consuming but you avoid unnecessary worksheets in your file collection.
It�s our choice to leave the worksheets as they are or change them.This is what this site is about, I guess.
Thanks to all of you for being here and giving your opinions.

Joe Thumbs Up

17 Jan 2009     

BondGirl007
Malta

and that is not barbed wire! it is just a clipart from microsoft word!

17 Jan 2009