Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help with two multiple questions!    

Help with two multiple questions!

lofthanzaaa
Germany

Help with two multiple questions!

These two questions were provided in a long test for the students. The students couldn �t agree in which answer is correct, neither could I decide. Can you please help me? And can you say why?

1. I missed the train, so I ................ take the next one.
     A. must              B. had to

2. We .................. play tennis every day when we were young.
     A. would            B. used to 

2 Oct 2012      

mtlaili
Tunisia

Sentence 1 is in the simple past so the correct answer is "had to".

"Must" can not be the correct answer because it refers to a present context.

2 Oct 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

I would say:

1. we had to, because it happened in the past.
2. both are correct, can that be?

2 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

I have to disagree with the answers you have received.

1. If the person is at the train station, having missed the previous train and waiting for the next one, the choice is "must". If the entire situation is in the past and is now being reported, it is "had to".

2. Yes, pilarmham, both are correct, although "used to" is much more common. Remember that "would" is the simple past of "will" (also the conditional form), so when telling about a past situation, we can use "would" for what would have been a future occurance at that time.

Bruce

2 Oct 2012     

mirkariver
Belarus

As if it is a test and it is supposed to choose the only variant without any circumstances because we should choose the common widespread variant of answer, I would take these:

1. had to (the first verb missed is in the past and we can believe that it is a past period of time => had to). 

2. used to (we were young and we played tennis at those times; used to=repeated actions in the past)

2 Oct 2012     

rodrigoleao2005
Brazil

1) had to
2) Both

2 Oct 2012     

mariec
Spain

Bruce, if the sentence were "I�ve missed the train," then "must" would be correct.

1) had

2) both ( as it�s a repeated action in the past and we can use  either used to or would)

2 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

1) b
2) b

(on balance..)

2 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Mariec, it is also correct with "I �ve missed the train" (since there is a definite connection with the present), but what I said is correct, too. Your friend asks you why you are standing at the station at 9:00 in the morning. You can correctly say, "I missed the train (a single, completed action in the past, so Past Simple is correct), so I must take the next one."
Bruce

2 Oct 2012     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Hello there,
I agree with Bruce�s answers. And I�d like to say this - persoally I hate the test questions like these ones where - without any other context - there are more correct options. In such cases they are only confusing and students or pupils get discouraged to learn English. It seems to them too difficult and tricky. So be careful while preparing your own test questions.  Have a nice day.
Oto

3 Oct 2012     

Zdenda
Czech Republic

Hello,
in both cases both answers are correct. In the first one the difference is in the meaning. The number 2a is pretty infrequent, but right.
Zdenda

3 Oct 2012     

1    2    Next >