Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with a private class    

Help with a private class

chosen1
Mexico

Help with a private class

Hello Everyone!!

Pleeeease help!! I have a private student. We �ve done a lot of things, grammar, conversations, role plays, you name it. He �s come a long way, BUT I feel like I �ve reached my limit as far as creativity goes. I don �t know what else to do. I had to cancel today �s class, because I felt like I was not prepared enough, and I don �t want to just show up. I want my lessons or my time with him productive. Could you give me some ideas as to what I can do? He wants to talk more, but... I can �t think of anything good.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Susy

3 Oct 2012      

maryse pey�
France

What about create a play about a theme (s)he is fond of ?
You make him / her explain the plot, describe the characters, the decor...

Or what about the elements to write a short story ?
Same thing : plot, characters, places...

You can watch a short film and talk about it after.

Start  an idea with 1 or 2 sentences and make him / her go on.

You can play the game of association of ideas : you say a word or 2 and (s)he must make a joke or some sentence as long as possible...

You can make him / her describe several pictures : common points, differences, what (s)he would like to change and why.

Good luck !

3 Oct 2012     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I normally ask my intermediate and advanced students what they are interested in . Then I read texts about that subject and we discuss it after. If necessary we have grammar exercices.
You can also discuss books or movies.

3 Oct 2012     

ggroneet
Israel

On my blog you can read about many web 2.0 tools to use in the class or in a private lesson. If you have a computer and an internet access the sky is the limit. More over the pupils love to work online..:)

Hope I can be of any help

3 Oct 2012     

jrob
United States

Play a game with your student(s).  Board games are great.  They develop conversation skills as well as grammar.  They also teach the intangibles like patience and perseverence. Don �t forget about the lessons learned from the emotions that go along with winning/losing. The student(s) will have fun and won �t even know they are learning at the same time. 

3 Oct 2012     

libertybelle
United States

Memory games
Word search
Listening exercises
board games
Find the difference pictures
pictures for discussion.

3 Oct 2012     

chosen1
Mexico

You guys are awesome!! THANK YOU so much for your help!!

3 Oct 2012     

chosen1
Mexico

You guys are awesome!! THANK YOU so much for your help!!

3 Oct 2012