Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ASSESSMENTS FOR YOUNG LEARNERS    

ASSESSMENTS FOR YOUNG LEARNERS

chosen1
Mexico

ASSESSMENTS FOR YOUNG LEARNERS

Hi Everyone!

Do you have any ideas for informal assessments for young learners. They are between 8-9 years old.

I tryly am grateful for any suggestions.

Susy

4 Oct 2012      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

How about an achievement chart which could be a magnetic board, big enough to have the list of your students � names. You could put it next to the board where it would be easily reachable for you and visible for the students and then you could choose tokens to put next to the student �s name to indicate his/her progress during the lesson. You could have three kinds of the tokens: one for a perfect answer/participation, one for an answer with minor mistakes, and one for a fair answer. Then you could make those merits/tokens to fit the topic, say a sun, a sun with a cloud, and a cloud when you teach seasons and weather, etc. You will need to glue magnets on them.
Sophia

4 Oct 2012     

chosen1
Mexico

Thank you Sophia, that was very clever. It gave me a great idea as to how I can do that with kids.
Thank you again :)

5 Oct 2012     

scasl
China

Just like Sophia, when I teach the children about 7-9, I  use the same way. But, the difference is that I have 40+ studnets in my class. So it is hard to show every students � name on the board. I just commen their work in group. Ususally, I write "group 1 to 4" on the blackboard. If I teach the letter "J", I will draw 3"J" for the best group. And may be 1 "J" for the others. Sometimes, a student may show us an exllcent answer. And I will give this group a big "smile".

Anyway, I think this assessment is very useful when students is very young. Now, my students are around 11. They don �t like this now.

6 Oct 2012