Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me please!    

Help me please!

Hanni9
Vietnam

Help me please!

Can you help me to solve the difference between " SEE A MOVIE" and "WATCH A MOVIE". Thanks.
Duong: What are you doing, girls?
Chau: We �re (1) ....a movie for our English class. It is going to be an old story
In my opinion, SEE is the answer.

7 Oct 2012      

nhimyeu
Vietnam

DEAR FRIEND,

SEE A  MOVIE MEANS YOU WATCH A MOVIE AT THE CINEMA
WATCH A MOVIE MEANS YOU WATCH A MOVIE ON TV.

REGARDS,
NHIMYEU

7 Oct 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

it �s very much like listen vs hear:)
see a movie is like stating the fact focusing on the movie and watch referes more to the activity/process of looking paying attention to what happens.
You CAN see a film on TV or a show, or a programme, but you cannot see television.
E. g. -Have you seen this TV show?
- Yes, I�ve seen it, but I usually watch only an hour of television a day, so perhaps it�s the only show I watch.
Sophia

7 Oct 2012     

libertybelle
United States

NHIMYEU - that is not correct!

AS ueslteacher wrote - it is much like to listen and to hear.

To listen is active and to hear is passive.
You can hear music in the background or coming from someone �s radio without really
listening to it.
If you listen - you are concentrating on that process.

But today - to see a film and watch a film is almost the same thing.

You can easily go and see a film in the cinema or see a film on TV.
To watch is a bit more active - but they are used almost in the same way  today.

7 Oct 2012     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

For further examples:
watch
1look [intransitive and transitive] to look at someone or something for a period of time, paying attention to what is happening: Do you mind if I watch?
2be careful [transitive] to act carefully in order to avoid an accident or unwanted situation

see past tense saw,  past participle seen
1notice/examine [transitive not in progressive] to notice or examine someone or something, using your eyes: The moment we saw the house, we knew we wanted to buy it.
2notice something is true [transitive not in progressive] to notice that something is happening or that something is true
ability to see [intransitive,transitive not in progressive] to be able to use your eyes to look at things and know what they are

7 Oct 2012