Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > a problem....    

a problem....

olaola
Italy

a problem....

Dear teachers, I sadly found out that in one of my classes most of the students discriminate women. We noticed that they behave with male teachers and not with the female ones (like me!); and from what they say I realized  that they really believe that women are inferior to men.This is problably due to their family education and from the environment they live in. I �d like to do something to open their mind and I �d like to prepare a lesson about it... any suggestions? is there a film, a video you can suggest? or a reading? it should something that can impress them...
thanks

11 Oct 2012      

erar2008
Spain

There is a nice film "Real Women Have Curves" that deals with the problem of women discrimination. I �ve got the same problem with some students and although at the beginning they are not very keen on the film at the end they like it a lot. Hope it helps!

11 Oct 2012     

alexcure
Poland

Dear Olaola,

I used to have such a problem several years ago. My students were 17 years old and the class studied both English and Russian, it was the extended Maths class, and the girls were preparing to take Russian for their final high school exam whereas the boys, who were excellent in English, upper intermediate, were taking extended English. 

The problem during my classes was mainly discrimination of the girls in class, but as the boys were so proud of themselves I also had problems with controlling their behaviour, they would play cards during the lessons for example and had rude comments. 

As I didn �t receive any understanding/sympathy from other teachers who were not sensitive to such problems and treated me like the ugly duckling in the college (Lyceum) I decided to solve the problem on my own.

I focused the lessons on the boys giving them many essays, compositions to write and showed a lot of admiration to their skills... but I met with the girls after their lessons when no boy was present at school and I did extra lessons for them as they were ashamed of uttering a word in English in front of them, for free of course, but we also talked a lot and together we tried to find some remedial solution. And one day, after having thought a lot (!) about the problem, I said to them, taking a big risk: my dear girls, please don�t judge me wrongly and have some more patience with the situation, I will try to treat them [the boys] as kings (!), at the beginning they might not notice that, but as I will also exaggerate, sooner or later they will do. Our force is that we are here together in group and that I do love both you and them and we shall win! ;-)�  The girls always knew what I was planning for the �boys� lesson� and also knew that I would give them good marks at the end of the semester as I saw during these extra lessons their hard work, even though the boys� outcome was visibly higher. The girls were to be very kind with the boys as well...

What happened after 4/5 months.... One of the boys, their leader, the one I had problems to show my affection to, wrote to me a letter in form of the class essay, for as usually I assigned a long essay but that time I said they could invent their own subjects... After having read his 7 page long essay I cried as I was so moved... he basically confessed to me about his life, the class situation and how much he wanted to change, had a girlfriend who was a very good person and that thanks to me and my love he noticed, together with other boys, that the girls in his class were pretty and that I was having extra classes for them (=the girls) and never reported about them (=the boys) to the head teachers and parents and by the division of the class I united them etc...

The following year teaching in this class was a real pleasure for me! The boys added me to their IRC channel (where they shared with me their problems) and started to treat the girls as their precious schoolmates... they then told me that I (together with the girls) won their respect thanks to treating them better than what they deserved and that they had found pleasure with irritating people and when they found out that it does not work with me/us (as the girls tended to follow me)  they quitted it and reflected...

Still I was curious what was the reason of their bad behaviour towards women... Hmmm, they all were tall, handsome...and thought the world was their oyster!

I won�t forget the last classes, the extra classes I did for them before the final exams.  Some other students from the school � I didn�t teach them � also asked me to participate in the lessons and when they saw the atmosphere, the respect  my students showed to everyone, the sense of  humour, love, were so shocked  that they said: �it �s been the first lesson I feel so good in this Lyceum�.... If they knew how many sleepless nights I had had before I achieved the result.... ;)  But it is true that you can win thanks to love....

I hope Olaola that you will find some solution and that my happy end story will help you a bit... I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

11 Oct 2012     

douglas
United States

Whatever you decide to do, be very careful--it could easily backfire and worsen the problem rather than correct it.

11 Oct 2012     

alexcure
Poland

Well, for the 16 years of my teaching.... it always worked (i.e. the counteraction) very well, but you need to be a good psychologist... (I can give you more examples but they are not connected with the thread/women discrimination)... I think that doing nothing worsens the situation.... you need to take a risk and try to love the problematic students.... once you love them, your enthusiasm is big enough to find a solution... (I know how hard it is to pull oneself together to love the rude ones... but everyone can change and we need to believe in it, otherwise we won�t help anyone to change for the better)...

11 Oct 2012