Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Used to for past habits    

Used to for past habits

grzincic
Serbia

Used to for past habits

Dear teachers, I have a simple question. If we say:"I didn �t use to play with dolls when I was little " - does this NECESSARILY mean that I play with dolls now, having in mind that this construction is used for actions and states that were habitual in the past, but they are not true anymore? Or this sentence can be understood as an ordinary Simple Past Statement? Thank you. 

11 Oct 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think it does imply that you play with dolls now, or you would say, �I didn �t play (or I never played) with dolls when I was little. If you are a big girl now, you would say it in a sheepish tone of voice. Wink

11 Oct 2012     

grzincic
Serbia

Thank you Smile

11 Oct 2012     

johanne23232
Israel

In my opinion it doesn �t necessarily mean you play with dolls now....only refers to the habits you had as a child. 

11 Oct 2012     

grzincic
Serbia

I tend towards that opinion,too. Thank you for your help.

11 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Lynne, that it does somewhat imply that you do now, or you would just use the Past Simple. However, it could also be used in a conversation, in which the others are saying that they did use to play with dolls. In that case, you might use this construction, just because. However, if you say "I didn �t use to play with dolls when I was little", some smart aleck would say, "Oh, so you do now?"

That is evidence that it does have this implication to some extent.

Bruce

11 Oct 2012     

grzincic
Serbia

Dear Bruce, you gave me quite thorough explanation. Thank you, it �s really helpful.

11 Oct 2012