Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > low-prep reading activities    

low-prep reading activities

jarek2011
Poland

low-prep reading activities

As ESL teachers we are always on the lookout for fresh, engaging and funny activities that we can do with our students. The reading activity that I like best is "Rhubarb" (the description of the activity is below). I really recommend it to all ESL teachers, the more so as the activity is a great attention-getter and will hold your students � attention for the whole of the game.

My question is: can you think of other low-prep reading activities that work in your classes? It may be competetive as my students love playing games :)

RHUBARB:

This can be helpful for reading, speaking and pronunciation as well as making your students feel less nervous about making mistakes.

Divide the class in two. They all have the same piece of text which should be something they are familiar with. One member of team 1 starts to read. When team 2 thinks they have made a mistake or pronounced something the wrong way they shout rhubarb! If they are correct team 2 scores a point and they take over reading, but if the reader on team 1 was correct then their team scores the point and continues with the next person in the group reading. They all get to read something and it turns into quite a fun competition.

12 Oct 2012      

jarek2011
Poland

A similar low-tech reading activity: A teacher cannot read (description below).  Do you know any other reading activities in form of games simple to implement?  

A TEACHER CANNOT READ:
Teacher reads aloud and makes mistakes. Students correct.

After a while you can modify the activity slightly by inviting a student to read out some sentences with mistakes, so that the class can correct.

12 Oct 2012