Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Asking and answering about one ´s nationality    

Asking and answering about one ´s nationality

lurdesilva
Portugal

Asking and answering about one ´s nationality

Hi there!
I wonder if any of the native speaker members could help me with this question:

What ´s your nationality?
a) I am French.
b) My nationality is French.

As a student I learned that the correct answer is a) and as a teacher that ´s the one I always teach my students, but is b) possible, too? If so, is there any difference in meaning?

Thanks in advance!

14 Oct 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

A) is the right response to the question. If nationality needs emphasising, you are more likely to say, ´I ´m a French national� than ´my nationality is French. � 

14 Oct 2012     

pedromon02
Spain

Just two different ways of saying the same without change of meaning.

14 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

"My nationality is French" is grammatically correct, but sound very stiff, beyond formal. It doesn ´t sound natural at all.

Bruce

14 Oct 2012     

lurdesilva
Portugal

Thanks a lot for your help! I just wanted to be sure I was right.
Wish you all a great week!

14 Oct 2012     

goospanish
Mexico

To me you would have your back up if you said  "My nationality is French"  you would be mad.

14 Oct 2012     

Darlamama
France

I would never say "my nationality is French" and I tell my students not to use it.
I always say "I am French", and it is exactly the same in French : "je suis française"

14 Oct 2012     

gulsahbilgeteacher
Turkey

I ´m not a native speaker but I ´m sure the 1st one is much better. Actually, it ´s the best !!! The other one is grammatically ok, but certainly not suitable for daily use and far away from being practical. Who knows, may be it ´s prefered by the royal family :)) 

16 Oct 2012