Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > about diminutivos!!!    

about diminutivos!!!

Mini9
Peru

about diminutivos!!!

This is special for native English:
do you often use diminutive words such a little kiss little eyes,, expressions to show love, like in Spanish we say ojitos, besito.
about the word godson is ahijado, but you really use and apply this word ..??
thanks .. is any1 knows .. pliz help me!!

14 Oct 2012      

yanogator
United States

We have some special forms, and we use them occasionally, but it �s not like Spanish. We sometimes add "ie" or "y" to words or especially to names, which is very similar to the Spanish "ito/ita". We also have the ending "-let" (borrowed from the French "-ette") that is sometimes used.

For example:    Spanish Juan/Juanito    English  John/Johnnie-Johnny, Spanish: Juana/Juanita   English Jane/Janie, Jean/Jeannie

Aside from names, they are more often terms of endearment than indications of size. We might call a loved one "Sweetie".

A very small book, especially if it has a paper cover, is a "booklet".

I �m really having trouble coming up with examples that aren �t children �s words (like "tummy" for "stomach"), showing that it isn �t very common. You might get more from some of the others.

Bruce

14 Oct 2012     

Mini9
Peru

Thank you so much.. I hope to get more examples.

14 Oct 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

In English we use a lot of "nice and ...".  For example, here in Peru, I notice that people say things like "calentito" whereas we would say "nice and warm." "Heladito" would be "nice and cold".

14 Oct 2012     

mariec
Spain

Have a look here;

http://grammar.about.com/od/d/g/diminterm.htm

14 Oct 2012     

Terri Lawson
New Zealand

Hi , I agree with Yanogator that a lot of English diminutive words end with et, ette or let. Some examples are: booklet, kitchenette, locket, rivulet, pocket, coronet and cigarette. if we are talking about the young of creatures we can sometimes add the suffix ling or let, for example: duckling or piglet.

A term of endearment is darling (meaning a little, lovable person).

I hope this is helpful.

14 Oct 2012     

julianach22
Argentina

You can use the suffix -o

Kid - kiddo

Check here http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kiddo you have different definitions provided by natives

Sometimes the suffix -o can add a negative meaning:

weird - weirdo (rarito)
sick - sicko (enfermito)

I hope it �s useful

14 Oct 2012     

Apodo
Australia

In Australia (where we are very fond of shortening words) we also have these informal terms:
barbecue - barby
grandchildren - grandies
biscuit - bikky (not just used by children)
Wellington boots - wellies
umbrella - brolly
breakfast - brekkie

15 Oct 2012     

douglas
United States

I think the closest we come to the Spanish habit (also done in German) of adding the dimunitive to terms of endearment is to use "little", but we don �t use it to the extent dimunitives are used for this in Spanish and German.

Examples:

"You �re a little sweetheart"
"little devil"
"little cutie"
"little fatty"  (be careful with this one!) (gordito)

Another thing you hear (slang--colloquial) is "-ems/ -ums"
  (i.e. snooky becomes snookums)

We tended to not be so creative with our pet names I guess ("honey" and "sweetheart" seem to be the most common).  Here is a link discussing pet names in English

15 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

I �m not too sure about the exact meaning of "enfermito" in Spanish, but it might not be the same as "sicko" in English. "Sicko" (at least in the US) means a person who is twisted mentally, and thinks or even does bad things because of it.

Bruce

15 Oct 2012