Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > CELTS, CELTIC...    

CELTS, CELTIC...

alex076
Italy

CELTS, CELTIC...

Hi dear friends! How do you pronounce these words: Celts, Celtic? With an "s" (i.e. "seltic") or with a "k" (i.e. "keltic")? Is the pronunciation different in Br./Am. English? Thanks for your kind help :)

16 Oct 2012      

almaz
United Kingdom

Celt-Celtic
I am a kelt, but the football team on the other side of my city is Glasgow Seltic. The distinction is unfortunately still quite important in a city with a history of sectarianism. 

Also, in the US, the basketball team is pronounced Boston Seltics. So there �s possibly an historic transatlantic link too particularly when referring to sports teams.

Obligatory Wiki link:

16 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

Actually, Alex, it �s simpler than that. In the past (I �d guess until about 30 years ago. My memory isn �t good enough to be very sure), it was standard in the US to say Seltics, so that was the only logical pronunciation when the Boston team was named. With the focus on multiculturism now, we have begun saying Kelts and Keltic, but the team is certainly not going to change the pronunciation of their name, so we have this difference.

Bruce

16 Oct 2012     

millmo
France

if you are a Kelt then it is Kelt!

16 Oct 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Merriam Webster �s gives both variants 

Sophia

16 Oct 2012     

alex076