Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Big Document    

Big Document

EstherLee76
Peru

Big Document

Hi,

I made a very nice document in Word that came out to 508 kb.  But when I saved it as a 97-2003 Word Document, it came out to about 1,400 kb!  Anybody know why that would happen?  I �ve done this with several documents and never had this problem.  I compressed, etc. but it �s still too big.

I don �t know how I �m going to eliminate 1,000 kb.  Any ideas?

Thanks so much,
Esther

22 Oct 2012      

ELOJOLIE274
France

if you �re sure it �s perfect, you can use pdf creator to save it as a jpg and then paste the jpg on a new document word... otherwise you can look at the tutorials, you may find a solution there :)

22 Oct 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

That worked.  I went to Youtube to get a tutorial on how to convert to jpeg.  The result is a little fuzzy but it �s now 344 kb.

THANK YOU!

22 Oct 2012     

goospanish
Mexico

you and also just take a picture to get at jpeg and  then  reduce quality in jped.   If  jpeg
is about  480  will turn out about  500 in word

22 Oct 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Fuzzy is what you don �t want, right? Plus a jpeg is uneditable and we all appreciate an editable ws, don �t we? as there can be a couple of words or a grammar structure or phrase that our students might not be familiar with. Maybe you saved it in a compatibility mode and that made the doc so big (i.e. some fancy fonts got embeded in the doc) so there �s probably a tick somewhere in the settings of your Word to be "unticked" in order for the fonts not to be embeded in the doc. Sometimes it �s reasonable to sacrifice the looks for the usability.

Sophia

22 Oct 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

You �re right, Sophia.  I tried checking in how I saved it, but I can �t find anything.  The fonts weren �t embedded.  I must have done something to make it increase in size, but I don �t know what.  :(

Esther

22 Oct 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

yeah, well I don �t know much about word 2010 which you �re obviously using... something there must have been done automatically... leave it be then.
Sophia

22 Oct 2012     

EstherLee76
Peru

I �m going to play around with it and see if I can do something.

Thanks so much for the advice and help.

E

22 Oct 2012