Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > DOUBT ABOUT A VERB TENSE    

DOUBT ABOUT A VERB TENSE

JUANBEGI
Spain

DOUBT ABOUT A VERB TENSE

What verb tense better suits this sentence? The instructions of the exercise tells me to use the correct perfect tense, simple or continuous.

My older brother has been taking driving lessons from Christmas. He ........ (hope) to have passed his test by now but that hasn �t happened yet.

Thanks,
Juan

24 Oct 2012      

JUANBEGI
Spain

I made a mistake when writing:

My older brother has been taking driving lessons SINCE Christmas. He ........ (hope) to have passed his test by now but that hasn �t happened yet.

24 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

He was hoping.

24 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

Juan,
You say that it has to be a perfect tense. If that is the case, I would say "He had hoped...", but I agree with Lynne that "He was hoping..." is the best choice.

24 Oct 2012     

JUANBEGI
Spain

yes, the instructions say: use the correct PERFECT TENSE, simple or continuous. That gap is getting on my nerves!! Thank u

24 Oct 2012     

mjpa
Spain

I would also use the past perfect Juan.

24 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Juan, "He had hoped..." is definitely correct.

Bruce

24 Oct 2012     

PhilipR
Thailand

I was hoping

or

he had hoped

BTW, does nobody find the preposition weird? I �d say that he �s been taking driving lessons since Christmas, not from Christmas.

Unless his driving instructor is called Christmas of course :-))

24 Oct 2012     

yanogator
United States

Philip, be sure to read the previous posts before replying. Juan changed that in his next post.

24 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, fair enough: had hoped. In my time (back in the Punic Wars, ahem!!!), that tense was called the pluperfect, now it is termed the past perfect (I think!). I understood the choice to be between �hoped � (past simple) and �was hoping, � (past continuous.)

May I say - it is quite an awkward sounding sentence? I �m pleased I don �t have to do some of these exercises! I might not get full marks! Wink
Edit: What about:He�d been hoping???

25 Oct 2012     

cassylou
United States

Most definitely "He had hoped." Not awkward at all.

25 Oct 2012