Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help!    

Help!

pmca
Portugal

Help!

I am writing a recommendation letter for a student and I can �t find the right words for "delegado de turma" and "diretor de turma".

Can anyone help me?

For non-Portuguese, "delegado de turma" is a student who represents the class in student assemblies, for example, and helps the class �s teachers with certain tasks like collecting forms, handing out documents, etc.

"Diretor de turma" is the teacher in charge of a class who is the liaison between teachers and parents. The diretor de turma is in charge of the class �s teacher meetings, etc.

Are there English counterparts for these roles?

Thanks!

LOL

26 Oct 2012      

Katiapulko
Ukraine

Maybe "class monitor" for a student and for a teacher - "class master" or "supervising instructor ", one American friend of mine calls the teacher in charge (a woman) "class mistress".

That �s all that came into my head.

Kate

26 Oct 2012     

Ticas
Portugal

I �ve already seen "form teacher" and "form student" in books. 

26 Oct 2012     

MoodyMoody
United States

For the student, I would probably say class representative for the first and student or class assistant for the second. Other students may say "teacher �s pet."

For the teacher, you figured out the term yourself: teacher liaison. I teach adults, so I don �t have to worry about that, but it �s my understanding that most children �s teachers contact parents directly.

I �ve never heard of "class master" or "class mistress" myself. A headmaster or headmistress is about the same as a principal, but usually in an expensive private school. A hall monitor is usually a student who is responsible for maintaining order in the halls by alerting teachers or other staff to students � problems.

26 Oct 2012     

pmca
Portugal

Thank you for your help.  I think class representative will work out fine as well as teacher liaison. 

Yes, my students would also say "teacher �s pet"! 

have a great weekend!

26 Oct 2012     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It used to be �form captain � but now it �s �class rep �.

26 Oct 2012