Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Vocabulary question    

Vocabulary question

juanbu
Brazil

Vocabulary question

Hello dear ESL Printables friends,

I have a question about vocabulary.

Here in Brazil we have a kind of competition or contest that we call �gincana�. It is a meeting for different activities (from playing chess and solving logic problems to playing regular sports, like volleyball, basketball, etc) between teams, it is usually done in schools, involving the whole school.

In English, there is the word �gymkhana�, however the dictionary entry for that is �an event in which people riding horses take part in various competitions�. It seems to me that they aren�t the same thing. Is there a word which I could use for it?

I would be really grateful if you could help me.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Ju

28 Oct 2012      

Anna P
Brazil

Once I had the same question and the closest word I could think of was "scavenger hunt" - but it refers to "gincanas" in which participants have to gather specific items from a list or perform tasks.  I don �t think it refers to sports competitions.

I �m also anxious to learn the correct word.

28 Oct 2012     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I don �t think that there is a word for this kind of activity, although it sounds a bit like an Olympic games for everyone! (Do they play chess at the Olympics?)

A gymkhana is as you quite rightly point out an event for people (children) on ponies. Here is a film of the all England competition: Ponyclub games

A scavenger hunt is like a treasure hunt. You have a list of clues and a list of things to find - they are also good fun.

We had a sports day at my school every year, where we competed against one another, but there was no chess or logic puzzles, it was track events - 100m dash, high jump, long jump etc...

In summary I think that I would either call it the schools Olympic games or sports day.

I hope that this helps, or gets someone elses brain to make a connection and come up with another suggestion :-)

Cindy

29 Oct 2012     

douglas
United States

I would call it  "School Olympics". 

Gymkhana is an equestrian event very popular in the USA.

29 Oct 2012     

juanbu
Brazil

Thanks a lot dear friends.
Best wishes.
Ju

29 Oct 2012